Learning to dive doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prior to starting diving with doubles last year, I completed a similar workshop course with a local instructor. I found the course to be extremly helpful to make my transition to this new setup as comfortable as possible. Additionally, the course helped to identify areas for improvement in a safe, controlled environment. The cost was minimal and I think that the information I gained during the session helped me tremendously. Having since moved to a larger set of tanks I would also recommend doing some research around getting tanks that fit your needs and naturally trim out easily. My first set was comprised of Faber LP85s and they were really easy to learn with. Have fun and dive safe.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and caldron bubble.
Cool it with the ocean blue,
Then the charm is firm and true.

Doubles aren't rocket science. If you treat them as a big single tank, they have more failure points, but as long as you stick to dive where surfacing is an option (and keep those dives conservative) then the big challenge is figuring out how to balance the tanks so you don't end up standing on your head.

Learning to manage the manifold involves understanding how it works and what the right response to issues would be, and learning how to do the physical act of closing and opening valves. Having some instruction or mentoring can help ENORMOUSLY with learning to do this, as there are some very typical errors that can be corrected early.

A number of agencies now offer an Intro to Tech class, which should include instruction in the management of manifolds/valves. You can also take an Intro to Doubles class, if your equipment is satisfactory, from a GUE instructor -- your nearest one, I believe, would be Ed Hayes in Connecticut (assuming you are in Boston, and not in Russia :) ).

I'm sure it will support a single tank but suspect it will also have lots of spare material flapping around in the breeze.
yes, and ?
it doesn't prevent to have a good trim and move correctly even against the stream.
for the esthetic aspect, sorry, i don't see my back when i'm diving.
for the buddy, it's practical: the guy with the pancake around the tank, that's me

I'm just going to absorb what's contained in that pearl of wisdom. :cool2:

I'm sure it will support a single tank but suspect it will also have lots of spare material flapping around in the breeze.

A used wing is what, $150 in the US. That is a drop in the bucket if you are into technical diving.

I picked up a new Dive Rite Classic for $120 on a closeout because, I guess, it was the wrong color. Since I'm not a Tech diver the color did'nt bother me. I would have figured out how to dive doubles on my single wing but the price was right on the Classic.

As for "flapping around", you are assuming DuboisP has not dealt with that problem already.

And to clear up any confusion, my doubles are 72's with a J-valve manifold. I have picked up a newer J-valve manifold, center and right side posts with no isolation (schematicly identical to an H-valve on a single tank) which I will probably set up AL80's when I find some cheap bands. I just dive stuff from when all SCUBA was Tech.

Bob
-----------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

yes, and ?
it doesn't prevent to have a good trim and move correctly even against the stream.
for the esthetic aspect, sorry, i don't see my back when i'm diving.
for the buddy, it's practical: the guy with the pancake around the tank, that's me

It's fine unless you plan on entering a confined environment. There's more to 'flappy' than than just aesthetic concerns.

It's fine unless you plan on entering a confined environment. There's more to 'flappy' than than just aesthetic concerns.
right.
I don't dive (yet) confined environment.
DSC00371.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom