Learning more about DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alan_lee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all! Am a diving newbie, and I'm interesting in learning more about DIR, esp when I agree with the philosophies of DIR, and am interested in being a safe and hopefully, a technically sound diver.

Was on the GUE site and have narrowed down my choice of potential learning materials down to the following titles:

1. DIR: Fundamentals of diving (book)
2. DIR: Fundamentals of diving (DVD)
3. Dress for success

The 3rd choice of book was suggested by TSandM because I intend to purchase a BP/W system and am worried about rigging it up.

Would appreciate your kind input on the matter! Cheers!

Here's some more sources for you

5thD-X Learning Center

Intro to Tech DVD

BAUE How to size a backplate

There's a lot of good info out there .... and there's also some miss information. Look around for some local mentors to help you shift thru the BS....

Oh watch out for the DIR haters also.. You'll figure out who they are soon enough. As soon as they see DIR their heads explode and they can't stop talking bad about the way we dive....

As you are starting out, I would recomend Dress for Success. It can really help you with gear purchases.

The Essentials/ Intro to Tech DVD can really give you some good visual education on what they mean by proper trim and bouyancy control.

Welcome to the club!

Hi Ben! Cheers for the really quick reply!

Unfortunately, I'm still really new to even the diving scene to know of any DIR followers here, let alone mentors :(

Err... I don't wanna open up a can of worms, but am genuinely curious why would anyone be opposed to safe diving? I totally agree with what's written on the dir-diver.com site about unsafe buddies. Had some cowboys for buddies during my OW course who just wanted to do their own stuff and just wandered off on their own. At first I was wondering if I was being silly by looking out for them when they were obviously much happier being on their own and being cowboys. As far as I'm concerned, I was just performing my duty as a buddy should, as how I was taught.

KMD: Cheers for your quick reply too! :D Yeah, I was thinking abt the DVD cos am a visual sort of person, ain't too good at visually what I read! LOL! I just wish that there's like a content page listed on the site so that at least I can see what is covered in the "Fundamentals of Diving" book.

Kevrumbo:
Your best local source in Singapore for anything DIR, as well as an excellent Instructor and Mentor (Gideon Liew):
http://www.livingseas.com.sg/home1.html

Yeap, your best source would probably be the instructor himself. I did my Fundies with Gideon. A great instructor.

Thanks for the link! Oooh, would love to sign up for the Fundamental course, but unfortunately, the cost would be tough on my financial situation:sigh_2: . although I know it's money well spent.

Sigh... love the sport, hate the cost! :11doh:

Jarrod's book has a lot of thought-provoking stuff in it. It spends a LOT of time on equipment configuration, but there is also a fair amount about what he views as the skills a diver should have at various levels of experience (although the idea that a technical diver has to be able to run a marathon is one I have some difficulty stomaching).

There is also a LOT of good material on the gue website, if you read the articles.

The 5thD-X DVDs are excellent for putting a correct mental image in your brain.

But most of all, you need to dive with DIR divers and model them, and have experience with the communication and team protocols. Even if you can't afford Fundies, Gideon may be able to put you in touch with some trained divers who will be willing to dive with you and help you get started. At least on the American West Coast, the DIR diving communities seem to be extremely welcoming and helpful to people who are interested in diving this way.

alan_lee:
Hi Ben! Cheers for the really quick reply!

Unfortunately, I'm still really new to even the diving scene to know of any DIR followers here, let alone mentors :(

Err... I don't wanna open up a can of worms, but am genuinely curious why would anyone be opposed to safe diving? I totally agree with what's written on the dir-diver.com site about unsafe buddies. Had some cowboys for buddies during my OW course who just wanted to do their own stuff and just wandered off on their own. At first I was wondering if I was being silly by looking out for them when they were obviously much happier being on their own and being cowboys. As far as I'm concerned, I was just performing my duty as a buddy should, as how I was taught.

KMD: Cheers for your quick reply too! :D Yeah, I was thinking abt the DVD cos am a visual sort of person, ain't too good at visually what I read! LOL! I just wish that there's like a content page listed on the site so that at least I can see what is covered in the "Fundamentals of Diving" book.
No one is opposed to safe diving. Many people are opposed to the idea that there is one "best" method for any particular dive. Fascinatingly, many of these people loudly proclaim that their method is in fact "better than" the DIR method :wink:

alan_lee:
Hi all! Am a diving newbie, and I'm interesting in learning more about DIR, esp when I agree with the philosophies of DIR, and am interested in being a safe and hopefully, a technically sound diver.

Was on the GUE site and have narrowed down my choice of potential learning materials down to the following titles:

1. DIR: Fundamentals of diving (book)
2. DIR: Fundamentals of diving (DVD)
3. Dress for success

The 3rd choice of book was suggested by TSandM because I intend to purchase a BP/W system and am worried about rigging it up.

Would appreciate your kind input on the matter! Cheers!

IMO, 1 and 3 are great choices. If the DVD is the 5thd-x one, then great. If you are talking about this one from the GUE website:

DIR 2004
With Jarrod Jablonski and George Irvine
3-DVD set, approximately 8 hours
NTSC video
$59.95

I would skip it for now.

You might want to consider the "Intro to Tech" dvd, from the 5thd site. It does a great job of breaking down the skills.

It would definitely be worth getting ahold of Gideon. Let him know that you are interested, and get some advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom