DIR- Generic Learning Doubles (in Wetsuit?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely think it’s time to rethink the approval process for the dir sub forum. It’s obvious Mac just wants to be an a-hole and stir the pot. It would be nice to be able to exclude people like him that just want to be a prick.

Definitely think it’s time to rethink the approval process for the dir sub forum. It’s obvious Mac just wants to be an a-hole and stir the pot. It would be nice to be able to exclude people like him that just want to be a prick.
At least there’s discussion.

Maybe we can boot folks who are just stirring up trouble?

At least there’s discussion.

Maybe we can boot folks who are just stirring up trouble?

Or just not pay them any mind? I'm DIR mostly, I like being here, I like reading stuff.... some of the back and forth is even comical, but honestly if no one tries convincing MAC that he's wrong, why would he respond at all? He trolls, someone ultimately tries to correct him, and he trolls some more. It's a vicious cycle.

It's the internet... no one had to respond, you can turn it off and walk away, you can decide not to respond (I'm not meaning YOU, just making a statement).

1643116368824.png

Or just not pay them any mind? I'm DIR mostly, I like being here, I like reading stuff.... some of the back and forth is even comical, but honestly if no one tries convincing MAC that he's wrong, why would he respond at all? He trolls, someone ultimately tries to correct him, and he trolls some more. It's a vicious cycle.

It's the internet... no one had to respond, you can turn it off and walk away, you can decide not to respond (I'm not meaning YOU, just making a statement).

View attachment 702916
Perhaps. But again, signal/noise ratio. It detracts from the purpose here. It’s kinda cool to have a place for serious discussion without every muppet chiming in with nonsense advice.

It would be like me popping over to solo forum and clowning on everyone. No one would appreciate it.

Where to put the weight is a touch different, but the v weight is a good starting point. But I'll need to go to a harness or weight belt before too much weight gets put on (if I need it), due to the wetsuit. I definitely think a SS backplate will help.

Depending on how much weight you need, you can max out with just about 16 pounds with a SS plate and a 10 lb v-weight, XS scuba make a nice v-weight pouch if you dont need a lot of weight, you add the buckshot. Personally, I try to jam as much weight "center mass" than just put a minimum on my belt when diving doubles in open water. Just enough to ditch.

Depending on how much weight you need, you can max out with just about 16 pounds with a SS plate and a 10 lb v-weight, XS scuba make a nice v-weight pouch if you dont need a lot of weight, you add the buckshot. Personally, I try to jam as much weight "center mass" than just put a minimum on my belt when diving doubles in open water. Just enough to ditch.
Yeah, I don't think I will need much at all. With a SS backplate an AL80 doubles, the Optimal Buoyancy Calculator says I'll need somewhere around 2-4 pounds. So that XS Scuba v-weight pouch checks the block. Just have to test it in the water and adjust.

As an aside, does anyone feel particularly strongly about doubles wings? I'm fine with buying multiple wings if I necessary, but it would be nice to transfer one wing from AL80s to tech diving with large steels in the future. I'm considering at the XDeep Hydros, OMS Performance Double, and Mares XR. All 40-45 lbs. Halycon Evolve 40, too, but that H tax... I could get something with more lift, which might be necessary for steels later down the road. Thoughts?

I'm considering at the XDeep Hydros, OMS Performance Double, and Mares XR. All 40-45 lbs. Halycon Evolve 40, too, but that H tax... I could get something with more lift, which might be necessary for steels later down the road. Thoughts?

You will need a doubles wing. For Alum 80's a 40 wing is perfect. I like Halcyon, and you are right about the H-Tax, but they work. I have 2 30's, a 40 and a 60. Ouch

You will need a doubles wing. For Alum 80's a 40 wing is perfect. I like Halcyon, and you are right about the H-Tax, but they work. I have 2 30's, a 40 and a 60. Ouch
Haha, but you can adapt to most all dives with those wings. Smart. I would never use a singles wing for doubles, don't worry. The ones I listed are doubles donut wings. If I see a Halcyon Evolve 40 used in the classifieds, I'll nab it. We'll see.

The Evolve 40 is nice for double AL80s and up to double HP100s -- really well designed for placement of the dump valve even if you have a drysuit inflation cylinder attached to your backplate and other small details like that. I was able to grab a used one for about $250 by being patient and watching the buy/sell groups on Facebook. It should get you through at least Tech 1 before you need more lift for multiple deco or stage bottles and larger back gas cylinders.

The Evolve 40 is nice for double AL80s and up to double HP100s -- really well designed for placement of the dump valve even if you have a drysuit inflation cylinder attached to your backplate and other small details like that. I was able to grab a used one for about $250 by being patient and watching the buy/sell groups on Facebook. It should get you through at least Tech 1 before you need more lift for multiple deco or stage bottles and larger back gas cylinders.
That's helpful information, thanks very much. I'll keep an eye out for one.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom