DIR- Generic Learning Doubles (in Wetsuit?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are pretty trimmed out from your rec pass, honestly, a doubles primer class may be unnecessary, especially if you think you may want to get a tech pass later. I think you will find doubles easier to "balance" than a single. Didn't read every post here, but you may want to try out diving a SS back plate if you are moving towards Alum 80's.

Also, with twin 80's with a wet suit you can stash some weight on a v-weight also if need be. When weighting yourself for the twin set, have them at 500 psi and weight yourself so you can hold at 10', when there you are golden after that.
That's helpful, thanks very much. I think finding the correct weighting will be relatively easy... That's a process I'm familiar with. Where to put the weight is a touch different, but the v weight is a good starting point. But I'll need to go to a harness or weight belt before too much weight gets put on (if I need it), due to the wetsuit. I definitely think a SS backplate will help.

As I've advised others, it may be best rather than take a specific course through fundies, but to hire a GUE instructor to do a 1:1 workshop there they evaluate your weaknesses and strengths and then decide what to focus on. I did this post fundies (rec pass) and it was great. He pushed me until I failed, giving me something to work on. While I have moved forward on CC, I'd still like to hire different instructors to evaluate my weaknesses.
That's a really good idea. I remember all of the feedback I got from fundies, and I could always use the instruction, doubles or not.

A twin made by two AL80 is a LARGE tank system, containing 22 liters. Bulky. Yes, it is almost neutrally buoyant, but still large.
I suggest starting with a more compact twin tank. Say 7+7 liters. Much more slim and easy to manage...
Regarding steel. They are heavy only if at high pressure. I did use old LP steel twin tanks rated for just 150 or 170 bars (10+10 liters). They were almost neutral, exactly as alu tanks.
Here some divers like compact twin tanks 7+7 liters steel rated for 300 bars. They are compact and slim, but terribly heavy. And in many places they can fill them just to 232 or perhaps 250 bars.
So in the end better to get an 8+8 liters at 232 bars, which is perfectly manageable with a wet suit. In the end, it weights almost the same as a single 15 liters steel at 232 bars, with twin valves, which is the standard tank most rec divers use here.
So, if you want to start doubles with a wet suit for rec diving, my suggestion is to begin with a small steel twin set, rated for 200 or 232 bar max, and with capacity of 7+7 or 8+8 liters.
Only after some practice, and possibly some instruction (the Doubles Primer would be great), you will move to larger twin sets. For rec diving in a wet suit, you really never need to carry more than 14 liters of gas at 200 bar...
I appreciate your tips. I don't mind the physical size, as I'm above "average size" and all the steel doubles I will eventually move to are physically large also. Start with the end in mind... It's not about needing the gas (you're right, I don't as a rec diver), it's about muscle memory and repetition, simulating failures and truly understanding how to react to them. A valve drill shouldn't be minless, but mindful, for example.

I will consider a steel set based on your opinion, but with the AL80s I can also keep them for my wife and/or as stages when I eventually get large steel doubles.

I appreciate your tips. I don't mind the physical size, as I'm above "average size" and all the steel doubles I will eventually move to are physically large also. Start with the end in mind... It's not about needing the gas (you're right, I don't as a rec diver), it's about muscle memory and repetition, simulating failures and truly understanding how to react to them. A valve drill shouldn't be minless, but mindful, for example.

I will consider a steel set based on your opinion, but with the AL80s I can also keep them for my wife and/or as stages when I eventually get large steel doubles.
One of the things I appreciate from the GUE/DIR philosophy is building upon previous training/equipment. If you are going to dive tech down the line, I'd use the same cylinders for recreational diving, even if it is overkill in terms of gas I carry.

That's a really good idea. I remember all of the feedback I got from fundies, and I could always use the instruction, doubles or not.
Indeed @wetb4igetinthewater 's idea seems to be optimal, combining all the positives of GUE-level instruction with a minimal cost. I think I will try to do the same for becoming familiar with my drysuit.

My response was to some silly comment about vegans, all other comments were about diving doubles in a wet suit, which there’s as many ways to do it as there are people. If you want to discuss diving and not have people disagree with ye don’t do it on a public forum. I happen to believe how people configure their own gear for their own hobby is entirely their business.
No, there’s not. Not in DIR world. Which is where youre posting right now.

Contrarian ******** isn’t helpful.

If you want to learn about how we do it, why we do it, and for tips about how to get better at how we do it, I think we’re all happy to help and to share. Otherwise, you’re just negatively impacting the signal to noise ratio. (Hint: you’re noise)

No, there’s not. Not in DIR world. Which is where youre posting right now.

Contrarian ******** isn’t helpful.

If you want to learn about how we do it, why we do it, and for tips about how to get better at how we do it, I think we’re all happy to help and to share. Otherwise, you’re just negatively impacting the signal to noise ratio. (Hint: you’re noise)
Diving doubles in a wetsuit is not complicated, it’s simple and is done by lots of different people in lots of different ways. All legitimate. You can put DIR or CAT or DOG in front of it but that doesn’t change it. And as long as people quote my post I’m going to answer them.

Can we all agree to just ignore mac64 now?
I put him in the ignore list just after I wrote this:
He is trolling, no reason to answer him
But my strategy isn't working, since you guys continue to answer him... :confused: :poke:

Really, his contribution is plain non-sense, and he surely likes trolling people around the internet (otherwise he wouldn't be here), so he will continue. But the ignore list is there for a reason.

Really, his contribution is plain non-sense, and he surely likes trolling people around the internet (otherwise he wouldn't be here), so he will continue. But the ignore list is there for a reason.
I really wish SB had a block button. That would be SO much better, as trolls you ignore will still attempt to antagonize you on occassion when you post. My 2 psi.

Well, with a pair of AL80 you also definitely save a lot of money, they are much cheaper! If you purchase them, get also the closing elements which replace the manifold when you use them as two separate singles. Maximum versatility!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom