DIR- Generic Learning Doubles (in Wetsuit?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That may explain it, but I thougt the DIR forum required some sort of approval? You'd think the people that seem to not like dir so much wouldn't go through the headache to be approved to post in this forum.
Maybe I should just try to stop understanding what goes through peoples' minds.

That went away with the software upgrade.

So what I’ve confirmed is that AL80s is a sound choice for wetsuit doubles, as I can offset the weight of full doubles in a wetsuit in a safe way without a drysuit. All steel doubles require a dry suit.
A twin made by two AL80 is a LARGE tank system, containing 22 liters. Bulky. Yes, it is almost neutrally buoyant, but still large.
I suggest starting with a more compact twin tank. Say 7+7 liters. Much more slim and easy to manage...
Regarding steel. They are heavy only if at high pressure. I did use old LP steel twin tanks rated for just 150 or 170 bars (10+10 liters). They were almost neutral, exactly as alu tanks.
Here some divers like compact twin tanks 7+7 liters steel rated for 300 bars. They are compact and slim, but terribly heavy. And in many places they can fill them just to 232 or perhaps 250 bars.
So in the end better to get an 8+8 liters at 232 bars, which is perfectly manageable with a wet suit. In the end, it weights almost the same as a single 15 liters steel at 232 bars, with twin valves, which is the standard tank most rec divers use here.
So, if you want to start doubles with a wet suit for rec diving, my suggestion is to begin with a small steel twin set, rated for 200 or 232 bar max, and with capacity of 7+7 or 8+8 liters.
Only after some practice, and possibly some instruction (the Doubles Primer would be great), you will move to larger twin sets. For rec diving in a wet suit, you really never need to carry more than 14 liters of gas at 200 bar...

And you eat lettuce because a group of vegans told you you shouldn’t eat meat.
If you’re not interested in discussing DIR methods, you can literally go post anywhere else on Scubaboard.

Here, we’re talking DIR stuff. If it’s not for you, that’s cool, but that’s not the purpose of this forum.

And you eat lettuce because a group of vegans told you you shouldn’t eat meat.
And I (we) love it, and that's the way I (we) prefer to eat. Not sure what's your angle...

P/S: It's rather interesting how confident you are regarding the reasons I like kool-aid lettuce... Mind-reading performed in the literal DIR way.

If you’re not interested in discussing DIR methods, you can literally go post anywhere else on Scubaboard.

Here, we’re talking DIR stuff. If it’s not for you, that’s cool, but that’s not the purpose of this forum.
My response was to some silly comment about vegans, all other comments were about diving doubles in a wet suit, which there’s as many ways to do it as there are people. If you want to discuss diving and not have people disagree with ye don’t do it on a public forum. I happen to believe how people configure their own gear for their own hobby is entirely their business.

And I (we) love it, and that's the way I (we) prefer to eat. Not sure what's your angle...

P/S: It's rather interesting how confident you are regarding the reasons I like kool-aid lettuce... Mind-reading performed in the literal DIR way.
In that case you’re doing what suits you which is exactly how people should configure their gear.

In that case you’re doing what suits you which is exactly how people should configure their gear.
Nice, and what suits me is to discuss subjects with other like-minded individuals that hold the same preference to a very specific style of diving called DIR. We even have a different subforum that we discuss subjects from our perspective, and avoid endless arguments regarding the style of diving we ALL agree on.

You can find this subforum here:
Also the rules on how to interact in this subforum are found here:

So, kindly, do what suits all DIR participants in this subforum and restrict your non-DIR responses to the rest of the SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom