DIR- Generic Learning Doubles (in Wetsuit?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is what the "just throw them on and dive" crowd seem to not understand. I was able to dive doubles safely for many years and could do a valve drill. Problem is I couldn't do it in a manner that was as smooth and comfortable as it could be.
Put them on and go diving, learn what suits you and make the changes to suit yourself. There’s only one right way, the one that suits you. Any other way you’re doing it wrong.

Put them on and go diving, learn what suits you and make the changes to suit yourself. There’s only one right way, the one that suits you. Any other way you’re doing it wrong.
100% agree. Indeed, there is no need at all to take any course in our life - better take what we want, and learn it on our own.

Why go to school and university? We can learn what suits us on our own!
Why take a driving license? Just take a car and go driving!
Why take scuba courses? Let's just go to a random shop, buy the equipment and go diving!

100% agree. Indeed, there is no need at all to take any course in our life - better take what we want, and learn it on our own. Why go to school and university? We can learn what suits us on our own! Why take a driving license? Just take a car and go driving! Why take scuba courses? Let's just go to a random shop, buy the equipment and go diving!
It is a hobby to be enjoyed as you see fit. How could someone else know how you wish to enjoy it. You can get most of what you need in Lydl

It is a hobby to be enjoyed as you see fit. How could someone else know how you wish to enjoy it.
We are speaking about learning the basics here, not about how to enjoy. First, you learn them, then you adapt them to your personal desires.

Think about reading; many people read for pleasure, but first, they need to learn the alphabet, then the grammar, punctuation, etc.

Now, I agree (as I said before) that doubles can be easy for many people (they were for me): in the end, the main differences with a single are just the different distribution of weight and the manifold. Therefore, some people can learn them decently with just a bit of mentoring. But this isn't true for everyone.

And, even more important, what's the problem if some people want to learn according to some agency standards because thereafter they want to take courses from them? And even if it was for any other reason, wouldn't be ok?

100% agree. Indeed, there is no need at all to take any course in our life - better take what we want, and learn it on our own.

Why go to school and university? We can learn what suits us on our own!
Why take a driving license? Just take a car and go driving!
Why take scuba courses? Let's just go to a random shop, buy the equipment and go diving!
Thank you.

Let’s return to the topic at hand, shall we? I am GUE trained and intend to stay that way, at least until I feel I’ve built a solid foundation from which I can branch out. I like the DIR philosophy, I consider it at once both sound and flawed, but more sound than other organizations’ philosophies that I have encountered. I posted on this thread to get DIR feedback.

I originally wanted to know what considerations there with creating a balanced doubles rig, etc., all the things I originally posted. From a DIR perspective, thank you. I can google to my hearts content and find articles. That’s easy… I asked on the DIR subforum to fill in the gaps of what articles can show me and what I already know.

We are speaking about learning the basics here, not about how to enjoy. First, you learn them, then you adapt them to your personal desires.

Think about reading; many people read for pleasure, but first, they need to learn the alphabet, then the grammar, punctuation, etc.

Now, I agree (as I said before) that doubles can be easy for many people (they were for me): in the end, the main differences with a single are just the different distribution of weight and the manifold. Therefore, some people can learn them decently with just a bit of mentoring. But this isn't true for everyone.

And, even more important, what's the problem if some people want to learn according to some agency standards because thereafter they want to take courses from them? And even if it was for any other reason, wouldn't be ok?
Whatever people wish to do is the right way for them, if they wish to turn their tanks upside down, it’s still right for them.

So what I’ve confirmed is that AL80s is a sound choice for wetsuit doubles, as I can offset the weight of full doubles in a wetsuit in a safe way without a drysuit. All steel doubles require a dry suit. I highly doubt a stock size dry suit will fit me, but I will look for one used. Until then, I can be learning the muscle memory, valve drills, and testing myself on contingency procedures using AL80s.

Because I have no one to teach me outside of an instructor, and I want to learn the GUE/DIR way, I will pursue taking the Doubles Primer class. I’m a smart cookie, and it will give me an instructor to pepper with questions beyond “uhh, where do I put this reg”? And they can help me adjust my trim, harness, buoyancy, etc faster than if I did it alone. I think it’s hard to argue with that. I’m not so new as to think the gas in your left cylinder is unavailable to you if you turn off the left valve… everyone can calm down haha.

This thread has devolved into typical internet bickering, but I got my answers. Thanks to everyone! The non-DIR people helped in their own way.

Whatever people wish to do is the right way for them, if they wish to turn their tanks upside down, it’s still right for them.
I hope you realize how logically flawed that argument is. That’s dangerous advice to a new diver. That’s just absolutely ridiculous and illogical.

I hope you realize how logically flawed that argument is. That’s dangerous advice to a new diver. That’s just absolutely ridiculous and illogical.
Have you not heard of inverted twins? Might be worth a look at. You may even like them.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom