DIR- Generic Learning Doubles (in Wetsuit?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Evolve 40 is nice for double AL80s and up to double HP100s -- really well designed for placement of the dump valve even if you have a drysuit inflation cylinder attached to your backplate and other small details like that. I was able to grab a used one for about $250 by being patient and watching the buy/sell groups on Facebook. It should get you through at least Tech 1 before you need more lift for multiple deco or stage bottles and larger back gas cylinders.
I switched from an Evolve 40 to an Evolve 60 when I switched from double LP85s to double LP104s. I might have continued to get away with the Evolve 40, but with the heavier tanks it was right on the edge of not keeping my head above water.

I switched from an Evolve 40 to an Evolve 60 when I switched from double LP85s to double LP104s. I might have continued to get away with the Evolve 40, but with the heavier tanks it was right on the edge of not keeping my head above water.
I think I remember you writing about that in another thread I read. That's helpful, as well. Thanks!

As I've advised others, it may be best rather than take a specific course through fundies, but to hire a GUE instructor to do a 1:1 workshop there they evaluate your weaknesses and strengths and then decide what to focus on. I did this post fundies (rec pass) and it was great. He pushed me until I failed, giving me something to work on. While I have moved forward on CC, I'd still like to hire different instructors to evaluate my weaknesses.
I could not agree more! I found that this is the best way to develop a quality skill set for diving. I find it very economical to hire a GUE instructor for a couple of intensive hours to evaluate and identify my weaknesses.
I then can concentrate my time working on the identified skills until they are perfected, send some video to the instructor, get their evaluation and move on to the next skill set. Doing it this way does require that you put your pride in your pocket and accept constructive criticism, but in the end it makes you a much better diver.
(By the way, I have been diving doubles in a wetsuit since 1974)

Then these attached hood suits, double thickness through the torso to the thighs
are made of a quality a touch less flexible neoprene, not that sponge stretch stuff

have no problem keeping me up in a 40lb wing twin steel 100s and overweighted

006.JPG

Then these attached hood suits, double thickness through the torso to the thighs
are made of a quality a touch less flexible neoprene, not that sponge stretch stuff

have no problem keeping me up in a 40lb wing twin steel 100s and overweighted

View attachment 703371
Except when you get to depth, the suit is crushed, and your wing fails.

The Dir methods of diving heavy double steel tanks and using a 60 lb wing to let you survive on the surface in rough seas. Great tip!

. I learn a little every time from these dir discussions.

The Dir methods of diving heavy double steel tanks and using a 60 lb wing to let you survive on the surface in rough seas. Great tip!

?

I think that's very much not the DIR method...

I think that's very much not the DIR method...
I think that may have been a meager attempt at humor/sarcasm. It really fell flat if it was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom