lead vs undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeatCker

Contributor
Reaction score
there is alot of good info on this forum re various undergarments
which ones are best, warmest, etc
here's my question ..
what do you wear for the temps that you dive and how much lead ???
ie/example ..
150 lbs body weight
60 - 70 F ... trilam suit .. 4th element xerotherm under bares ct200 ... 20 lbs (includes backplate)
50 - 60 F ... trilam suit .. 4th ele artic under ct200 .. 28 lbs total
40 - 50 F ...
30 - 40 F ...
not sure if this interests anyone else but i'd like to get an idea on how much lead everyone uses

I wear a Whites MK2 undergarment w. basically a jogging suit underneath it. I wear 26lbs of lead. I'm actually surprised at how much lead I carry considering that I've moved from a traditional BCD to a BP/W. Somehow, it didn't seem to help my required ballast (factoring in the 6lbs of ballast provided by the bp).

Here are the other considerations:

Drysuit: Most often a BARE NexGen
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 195lbs
Tank: HP119 (-2 lbs empty)
BCD: 6lb steel backplate w. 36lb wing
Water temp: 50-60 degrees

I also have an interest on this, as I'm soon to buy a trilam suit.
I currently dive the Everdry Scubapro drysuit (neoprene) with Forth Element drybase, diving double aluminum 80's with aluminum plate I only use 3 Lb of weight.

I was shocked to learn people dive trilam (TLS350) with 300 gram undergarments, diving double 108's with steel plate and an additional 30 Lb of weights :shocked2:.
These are people with considerable experience and training, meaning, I kinda of trust they know what they're doing, but I would think a neoprene drysuit would be more buoyant than a trilam, am I wrong on this? Can someone explain?

OP, sorry in advance if this will highjack your thread, but I think this in line with what you're looking for.

Thanks
Pavao.

125 pounds and 5'3", very cold intolerant.

75 degrees and above: Whites Fusion dry suit, Diving Concepts base layer, Lands End polarfleece sweats; 16 to 18 pounds with an Al80.
65 to 75 degrees: dry suit, Diving Concepts 200g Thinsulate undergarment, DC base layer, but I can't speak to what I wear with a single tank, because the only time I'm ever in those water conditions are in caves in doubles. There, I use 7 pounds on the bottom bolt of double 95s with an Al plate.
Below 65 degrees, dry suit, either Whites Thermal Fusion or MK3 with KamGear base layer. 31 pounds of ballast (includes 5 lb plate) with single HP 100.

Drysuit: Andy's DS2 and USIA Aquasport (shell suits)
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 195lbs
Tank: LP95 (-1.2 lbs empty)
BCD: jacket style
Water temp: 30-40f
Garments: old style dui 2pc fleece (similar to actionwear 300)
Lead: 28-30 lbs

5'11, 205 lb. Drysuit neoprene CF200. Whites undergarment with long underwear underneath. 6mm booties, 10/12mm heavy hood, single AL80.......drum roll.....50lbs. I can do it with several pounds less but I don't like my suit so tight in 46 degree water at the end of a dive.

225lbs (I hope still, belt was a little tight this week)
5'-10/11"

L/XL Whites Fusion with a sport skin
<50 - XL/XXL fusion undergarment
36lbs incl. backplate and AL80 saltwater

50-70 - L/XL MK2
32lbs incl. backplate and AL80 saltwater

>70 - flannel pajamas
10lbs incl. backplate and AL80 freshwater

BRad

Last edited:
sb.jpg

i find it quite interesting how much more lead is needed to dive dry vs wet for the same temp range (pick up 30 + lbs .. it heavy)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom