LDS to complete DM with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Ron! Good advice!

I agree, I don't want to be just another DM or another credit card in the system but become part of the team and be able to complete instructor training all from the same LDS.

I like the instructor at the dreaded Sport Chalet but I'm not sure about a big box store.

I'm going out to a dive shop tomorrow and will keep in mind your questions.

I see you're from Gilbert, did you get you DM in the valley?

Shame on me but I didn't check the Lake Pleasant thread, probably missed out on another weekend?

Yes, I got my cert from a LDS here in Gilbert....

Hi, Kris....I remember when you were getting your DM....you helped in a couple of my classes for Master Scuba Cert....I know you would have been a lot of fun and an excellent Instructor for those wanting there DM certs....

Back to the subject.... I will say that I know many of the Instructors at Sports Chalet and they are not only my friends but also excellent Instructors.... If that is were you want to get your training go right on and do it.... I got my EFR Instructor training from Dean Cutler a PADI course Director form Sports Chalet....He was very good....

Also we are getting a group together for Friday the 22nd....several of us are meeting at 4:30-5:00 for a day dive...then we are doing a dusk dive, and a night dive...yes 3 tanks.... we are going to have a great time...we will be meeting at Vista Point....Join us!!!! :wink:

Anyone know why there is so much difference in pricing? Saguaro list $325 for DM, Scuba Specialties list $525, both mention materials extra. I think Sport Chalet is around $300.

I'm just wondering why the big spread?

Ah, Grass-Hoppah, the difference is PROFIT. :rofl3:

Seriously, do NOT rush into picking a dive shop. One thing you need to consider is that you will probably only work for the dive shop you got your DM from unless and until you become an instructor. How the dive shop treats DM's (and candidates) is important - are you a tank-yanker or do really mean something?
What kind of discount will you get when you're a DM on equipment? Will they just give you some BS 20% off of 20% too much, or will they keyman equipment for you?

How many classes will you be able to DM for? How much will you get paid? How about leading/going on trips free or with compensation?
If you're not careful, you will become a slave who has to pay for the privilege.

If they've got 50 dm's and 10 more in your class, and they have a class three times a year, say goodbye. If OTOH they really need DM's, their instructors make you feel important and they have a good program for gear, consider them.
I was a DM at Oasis. The reason I became one is because I was talked into it by an I (who, like everyone else who ever took it was told, told me I'd make a great DM). I was, however, treated with respect, I got classes to work until the disorganization set in, and I did a couple trips (my first one, unpaid with a big discount so I could learn how, and the second one, which was supposed to be compensated, but they went broke first). It was a nice deal for me, I'm not sorry I did it, but I don't think I'm gonna wind up DM'ing for another shop.

Some dive shops consider DM class just another profit center like advanced, or rescue, nitrox, etc. Others consider it a serious grooming event for the future of the shop. Stay away from the former and seek the latter.

There are many factors, but price isn't the main one. If you're gonna work and get trips and you have to pay more, it's worth it. If it's cheap and you're a tank-hauler with an insurance obligation, fuggedaboudit.

I'm invoking the grandma rule about specific dive shops mentioned:D

Hi, Kris....I remember when you were getting your DM....you helped in a couple of my classes for Master Scuba Cert....I know you would have been a lot of fun and an excellent Instructor for those wanting there DM certs....

Ron, I remember the classes you guys did, and thanks a bunch for the compliment. We had guy, now a great friend, recently finish up his DM with us as a matter of fact. He recently moved off to Hawaii to work, and a few guys on SB had a chance to meet Ryan (online here occasionally as "jaxsun") before he left.

Thanks Kris,

When is whale shark season?

Typically March/April, but usually a full moon will work some magic as well. We were there in June/July and the day of the full moon we got in the water with 4 over the course of a few hours! PM if you want some more info on the local/resort and we'll try to hook you up.

(back to the thread in progress)

Ron, I remember the classes you guys did, and thanks a bunch for the compliment. We had guy, now a great friend, recently finish up his DM with us as a matter of fact. He recently moved off to Hawaii to work, and a few guys on SB had a chance to meet Ryan (online here occasionally as "jaxsun") before he left.

What Island is guy working on??? I am going to the Big Island on the Kona side of the Island in February.....would love to see him and do some diving!!!!

The first thing you need to decide is what shop you want to DM for. Or do you even want to DM for a shop. If you choose a shop to do your DM course, it will be difficult to get a job DMing for another. Shops usually choose their own. Same thing goes for the IDC. So choose your shop on that basis. If you plan on going the independent route, talk to Kris about DM. He can probably guide you on the IDC process as well.

What Island is guy working on??? I am going to the Big Island on the Kona side of the Island in February.....would love to see him and do some diving!!!!

Ryan is on Maui, still getting settled in- just moved out a few weeks back.

The first thing you need to decide is what shop you want to DM for. Or do you even want to DM for a shop. If you choose a shop to do your DM course, it will be difficult to get a job DMing for another. Shops usually choose their own. Same thing goes for the IDC. So choose your shop on that basis.
As a side note, if you want to fast track to Instructor, the local Sport Chalet might be an option, I was offered a teaching job over the 10 minutes my tanks filled.

Dive-aholic:
If you plan on going the independent route, talk to Kris about DM. He can probably guide you on the IDC process as well.
:D

As a side note, if you want to fast track to Instructor, the local Sport Chalet might be an option, I was offered a teaching job over the 10 minutes my tanks filled.

I talked to them a few years back about teaching for them. They're schedule didn't impress me.

Hi, Ron!

Ryan is on Maui, still getting settled in- just moved out a few weeks back.

:D
Thanks!

I'm gonna dive for a week and I'll give it some more thought when I get back...I really want to get started in September....I've already purchased the material and have been doing some study.

I've also started a swim workout program to work on my swimming performance......I really want to find a shop or instructor I can work with through OWI.....I also would like lots of opportunities to dive and lots of opportunities to assist an instructor as well as someone that will take an interest and be willing to give pointers and see areas where I can improve....I know it sounds corny but I want to be as good as I can be as a diver and in the future as an instructor and I am looking for some help to get there!

The posts have been helpful, Thanks!

My boys, ages 12 and 16, were recently certified at Sports Chalet in Gilbert. Their instructor was Patrick, and it was a wonderful experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom