LDS to complete DM with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZdiver1279

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi All,

I have a question for everyone in the PHX area.

I have been considering shops to start and complete my DM with and then start OWAI. I had considered Paradise but they are no longer in business, I had completed Rescue Diver with Oasis PHX, no longer there....(or not?)

So, I'm thinking about Sport Chalet just since they are so close to where I live and I do like Don over at I-17 & Happy Valley. I'm also thinking about Scuba Specialties, again out of convenience, they are west valley, I don't know too much about them. Since convenience is only part of the equation I'm also planning on checking out a couple of east valley shops.

I would like to hear from local divers who they would recommend and why as well as who they would stay away from if it was them and why.

Of importance are opportunities to dive and quality of training. What else would you consider?

Any recommendations?

I can not speak to the DM course itself or suggest this is the closest LDS to you, however the Instructors, Employees, and Owners of Saguaro Diving in Mesa are some the best ppl I have dealt with at any business. Based on the quality of their service, dedication to the sport, and very reasonable pricing, I would recommend checking them out ASAP.

I can not speak to the DM course itself or suggest this is the closest LDS to you, however the Instructors, Employees, and Owners of Saguaro Diving in Mesa are some the best ppl I have dealt with at any business. Based on the quality of their service, dedication to the sport, and very reasonable pricing, I would recommend checking them out ASAP.
Thanks....they were actually on my list of shops to visit tomorrow for another reason, I had planned to visit because I thought they had a large selection of dive computers and they also offer internet price matching.

I'll ask about their DM program as well, thanks for the recommendation!

I don't know about their DM training but I've always found Scuba Specialties to be an honest, reliable operation. And they have a pool. Frankie and Steven are good people. Kendall too, I just don't run into her much any more.

Since you're PADI, Scuba Sciences is out...

I don't know about their DM training but I've always found Scuba Specialties to be an honest, reliable operation. And they have a pool. Frankie and Steven are good people. Kendall too, I just don't run into her much any more.

Since you're PADI, Scuba Sciences is out...
Thanks Steve,

I've been in there a couple of times and bought some gear there and checked into their San Carlos trips.

I do plan on going over there today or tomorrow....they're the closest Atomic dealer and I need some work done.

Thanks again!

Anyone know why there is so much difference in pricing? Saguaro list $325 for DM, Scuba Specialties list $525, both mention materials extra. I think Sport Chalet is around $300.

I'm just wondering why the big spread?

I guess I may be a bit different but I chose my DM training for the instructor, not the shop....price is a factor but it is only one piece of the puzzle....

I wanted an instructor who would do more than just go through the paces...I wanted to learn all I could and be able to work with the instructor knowing I wasn't an imposition or just another student diver...I know that the relationship you build with the instructor is very important...and what he or she is able to teach you will be invaluable in the next step....especially if you are wanting to become an instructor....

Take your time and get to know the instructors that are at the different shops you are considering and ask them how they teach, how they would work with you, and ask someone that has been through the DM training with them how it went and what they thought about the class and instructor....

I think it is just worth the time so you get the best training you can get and the best experience possible in your adventure!!! JMHO....

Thanks Ron! Good advice!

I agree, I don't want to be just another DM or another credit card in the system but become part of the team and be able to complete instructor training all from the same LDS.

I like the instructor at the dreaded Sport Chalet but I'm not sure about a big box store.

I'm going out to a dive shop tomorrow and will keep in mind your questions.

I see you're from Gilbert, did you get you DM in the valley?

Shame on me but I didn't check the Lake Pleasant thread, probably missed out on another weekend?

Saguaro doesn't do an IDC, so if you're wanting to complete instructor training at the same shop, scratch them off the list.

We'd be happy to chat with you about completing a DM course, but I think you're looking for something more shop oriented, so good luck with the class!

Back
Top Bottom