LDS arbitrary tank fill rules.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll out myself. I won't fill 6351 cylinders. The new rules (2006, not so new) require that "The cylinder filler should allow only those individuals essential to the filling process to be in the vicinity of the cylinder during the filling process.". Since I fill on the back deck of a dive boat with folks milling about smartly, the only way I can meet the regulation is to keep everyone off the back deck during the filling process. That isn't going to happen, so I won't fill 6351 cylinders.

I wanted to stay away from the 6351 issue even though I do not agree with not filling properly tested tanks. The point of adding those ops to a list like this is so the diver knows in advance as I did not see anything about this policy on your web site. This link someone put up earlier states clearly their policy and why they made the policy. Tank Fill Policy - Dive Source Scuba Your situation is a little different then a LDS but the result on a vacationing diver would be similar. Maybe the list should just be "LDS tank fill rules", just listing those rules without passing judgement on the rules themselves.

I wanted to stay away from the 6351 issue even though I do not agree with not filling properly tested tanks. The point of adding those ops to a list like this is so the diver knows in advance as I did not see anything about this policy on your web site. This link someone put up earlier states clearly their policy and why they made the policy. Tank Fill Policy - Dive Source Scuba Your situation is a little different then a LDS but the result on a vacationing diver would be similar. Maybe the list should just be "LDS tank fill rules", just listing those rules without passing judgement on the rules themselves.

I agree with you completely, and very few folks bring their own aluminum 80 cylinders since we supply them. Most folks, if they bring their own tanks, bring steels or AL-100s. I would have no issues filling a 6351 at the dock or whenever I can do so and follow the law. We didn't bother with a policy because it has never ever ever come up. I did give away all of my 6351s when the rule changed, because I had more cylinders than I needed, and condemning them would be a crime. AFAIK, they are still in service, with Spree still stamped in the shoulder.

I'll out myself. I won't fill 6351 cylinders.

If you have the ability to identify 6351 cylinders, you already have 100 times more knowledge of scuba tanks than practically anyone filling tanks at a dive shop. (or another boat that I'm sure you're familiar with)

I don't think any sane customer has a problem with shops wanting to make sure their employees don't get killed or injured by a filling accident. The problem is the apparent ignorance by some shops and employees. In some cases, they might as well say "I can't fill that tank because there might be a zombie inside".

It used to really piss me off, but now it's just a mild annoyance. It is their shop, after all. Life is too short....

I won't fill tanks with zombies inside either.

Thanks for that. You made my morning.

If you have the ability to identify 6351 cylinders, you already have 100 times more knowledge of scuba tanks than practically anyone filling tanks at a dive shop. (or another boat that I'm sure you're familiar with) ....

If everyone at your lds doesn't know how to tell if a tank is a 6351 then maybe you should look for a different lds

I don't think any sane customer has a problem with shops wanting to make sure their employees don't get killed or injured by a filling accident. The problem is the apparent ignorance by some shops and employees. In some cases, they might as well say "I can't fill that tank because there might be a zombie inside".

It used to really piss me off, but now it's just a mild annoyance. It is their shop, after all. Life is too short....

You are so wrong. A number of former customers don't give a dang about whether a tank is VIPed or in hydro bacause it is their tank it wouldn't dare go bad. Just fill it now. I'ver refused fills before and after some heavy discussions they agreed to let me inspect their tank. The worst I've ever found was 1/4 full of water and the bottom half of the tank was so full of growing fungus I would be afraid to use it after cleaning.

So while I can understand your frustrations, you might be the next one to come in after I just got the "I know more than you stupid" lecture from a snot nosed kid that hasn't been out of training pants too long. Just bear with me. I'll chill out shortly. lol

Add me to your list. If I don't like it I don't fill it. I will give you an explanation as to why I won't fill, but if you take offense that I won't fill a tank just because it is in date you are welcome to take your business elsewhere. I stand over the compressor so it will me my call.

As an aside to those who will claim in date means safe. Look in to the case in South Africa where an in date tank was brought in to be filled that exploded killing the operator.

You did not list the name of your dive shop. It would be nice if you did. It would save me some wasted time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom