LDS arbitrary tank fill rules.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Believe it or not, you can't always tell from stated web site policies. A couple of years ago ScubaBoard had one of those threads about overfilling tanks. Two different people sent a link to a PDF article about the dangers of overfilling, even overfilling a little while hot so that it will cool to a proper fill. The links were to a shop that fills a whole lot of tanks, and the indication on that part of the shop web site was that they do not even overfill to let it cool to the identified service pressure. That link was certainly a surprise to me. I had used that shop for years. I knew that it routinely overfilled LP steel tanks to a cooled pressure of 3,000 PSI, going over it while warm first. I had gotten my Advanced Gas Blender certification there, and I knew that was not their actual policy at all. I wondered if they even knew that information was on their web site. (I don't think it is there now--they have redesigned their site.)

You might also sometimes run into an employee who has received proper training on the rules but has misremembered those rules. I did a lot of diving in Florida with a particular dive shop this winter, and for several days I acted as an instructor for some friends. They were diving AL 80s, and every day they dived they were filled well over 3,000 PSI, which a lot of shops won't do. The irony is that I had to talk them into filling my LP 85s past 2400, even though the + sign indicates the rated pressure is 2640. When I explained that to the person filling the tanks, I got a "ooops! That's right!" look and a top off. I finally even talked them into a 3,000 PSI, which came after they talked with the higher ups in the shop and learned that it was OK. (If I drove a few hours north to cave country, almost anyone there would fill those same tanks to 4,000 PSI.)

Never had a problem getting my three 18 year old AL tanks filled in FL. They passed Hydro so what's the problem? That LDS will loose my business forever if they refuse to fill a tank in Hydro and VIP.

Never had a problem getting my three 18 year old AL tanks filled in FL. They passed Hydro so what's the problem? That LDS will loose my business forever if they refuse to fill a tank in Hydro and VIP.
Same situation with my 20 yr. old ALs when on the N. Gulf Coast, at a shop I use in NY, and of course at home.

As much as I believe in filling tanks that are in hydro and VIP, my resolve is weakening. I have seen 4 tanks(mine) fail for neck/thread cracks in the last two years....all were circa 1985-88. These are not false cracks... They are no ****ters. I am guessing that mine failed due to age and usage. Realistically, I'm not that upset about getting rid of all my old aluminums, since I can buy newer used tanks for a little more than the scrap value of the old ones. Craigslist is a gear hounds best friend:wink:

As much as I believe in filling tanks that are in hydro and VIP, my resolve is weakening. I have seen 4 tanks(mine) fail for neck/thread cracks in the last two years....all were circa 1985-88. These are not false cracks... They are no ****ters. I am guessing that mine failed due to age and usage. Realistically, I'm not that upset about getting rid of all my old aluminums, since I can buy newer used tanks for a little more than the scrap value of the old ones. Craigslist is a gear hounds best friend:wink:

What was the failure mode of your 4 tanks? Did they go boom? Did they leak? Did they get picked up in a VIS or Hydro?

I don't get the point of this project. Certainly, where you live, you know which shops will do what, don't you? So don't go to the shops you know won't fill your tank.

The idea originated from talking to a guy who had this problem when he was on vacation. Seemed like this sort of thing could be very useful in that instance. It would give the out of town diver a home field advantage in a place they have never been to before. Even on Long Island there are a lot of shops I have not been to yet.

Has anyone tried Eddy Current inspections? or even a X-ray.

Cost a issue?

Tried when? AL tanks are supposed to have an eddy current test when hydro'd; our shop also does them during a VIP.

Failed AL tanks aren't common (my best guess is a small fraction of 1% of the inspections), but they do show up often enough that I'd never skip the Eddy Current test and wouldn't be comfortable inspecting my own tanks without having access to the tester.

flots.

I too grew tired of fighting the battle and started ditching my old tanks as they came up for hydro.

May be putting some 10 year old AL80s up for sale soon... FYI, they will be in need of hydro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom