Lava core Fullsuit v 5 mil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tagline

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just purchased a lavacore full suit for a Blackbeards trip I'm going on in December. I'm 5'9, 210 lbs and I dive 20 lbs of weight with my 5 mil so I'm wondering how much weight to use with the lavacore suit?
Water temps in the Bahamas in December are supposed to run 75 - 78 so I'm trying to decide if I should bring both suits.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Tagline, lavacore is supposed to be neutral......

That's what I have heard, but i'm sure that doesn't mean I can dive without any lead.
Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Can you dive it before hand. Regardless I'm sure they can weight you when you get there.

Sent from my DROID X2

I'll dive it Saturday in fresh water and then add 4 lbs......i'm guessing 12 lbs should do it. The problem is dives in Jupiter or West Palm are drift dives.....so it's jump and go ! You don't have time to get your weights before you jump. Everyone goes together.....I was hoping to find someone on SB who has dove the suit that is about my size.

I have a LC fullsuit. Everything I read indicated its' thermal equivalent is 2MM of neoprene. If you need 5MM in those temps you're probably going to be cold. The LC is reported to be neutral, but I found it slightly buoyant. I'd dive those temps with the LC under a 3MM fullsuit. I dive the 3MM with 10 lbs in SW, so I'd add 2lbs for the LC.

Thanks Tom.....I'll get my weight right this Saturday in the quarry and then just add 4 lbs for SW for my trip to Jupiter next weekend. I'm not sure if I'll take my 5 mil to on my Blackbeards trip in Dec. yet.....prob should.....prob better safe than sorry. Maybe I should breakdown and buy a 3 mil neoprene suit to take along instead of my 5 mil.

Tag, don't forget every body is a little different. YMMV. Have fun, I'm jealous.

I wore a lavacore full suit under my 3 mm wetsuit in australia and did not add anything beyond my normal 3 mm weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom