Neoprene wet suit v/ 3 mil skin (lava Core)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AE Puccinelli

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I am looking to lighten up my travel lode. I was interested in either a non-neoprene type wetsuit , How in terms of warmth do they compare to my 3 mil scuba pro wetsuit? Will the require less weight or is it about the same? I am also interested if anyone has experience with body suites like Lava-core that say they are equivlent to 3 mil neoprene? I just dive tropical waters, and somewhat long in the tooth (older diver) Thanks, appreciate any input

I have assorted lavacore, sharkskin, and old darlexx or something. Its pretty neutral I would expect a 3mm neoprene to require more weight. Despite what the marketing says I think 3mm neoprene is warmer, at least until it gets beat and squished. But I like lavacore and it’s warm enough for me. All the versions I have take much longer to dry than I would have expected.

I have assorted lavacore, sharkskin, and old darlexx or something. Its pretty neutral I would expect a 3mm neoprene to require more weight. Despite what the marketing says I think 3mm neoprene is warmer, at least until it gets beat and squished. But I like lavacore and it’s warm enough for me. All the versions I have take much longer to dry than I would have expected.
Thanks, that helps me..

I have a Lavacore front-zip full suit. I wear it over a skin and am good down to about, maybe, 76-77F. It is very light when dry, and crazy heavy when wet, but we wring it out (a two-person job) and it dries in a few hours. It’s not hard to put on dry or wet. It requires no weight adjustment because it is neutrally buoyant. I wear only a skin above 80F, and estimate I have about 200 dives wearing the Lavacore, which is showing very little wear. I’ve put a shorty over it a handful of times. No complaints.as to the claim that it’s equivalent to 2-3mm of neoprene, I’d guess more 2 than 3.

I have Lavacore and Sharksin. As mentioned above, both advertise to be like a 3mm in warmth, but it is a bit less. In terms of weight, both are neutral. When I use them I don't need the weight I require for a 3mm.

Comparing both, Sharkskin dries much faster, seems to retain less water when you take it off. Also I had an issue with my Lavacore, as the zippers were metalic and they rusted and broke. I think the new models have plastic zippers, so this should not be a problem anymore.

I'd like to try the new Sharkskin they advertise as a 4-5mm ... But is not cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom