Lauderdale-by-the-sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marvel:
If you're interexted in doing the Toweres, check out this dive op- they go there regularly & it's a terrific boat. Their schedule is posted: American Dream II

If you guys are going to be beach diving in LBTS, let me know- I happen to live there... :wink:

I already signed up with Pro Divers plus they are right there at theDoubletree Hotel I'll be diving with them weekdend of May 6th

Well that thread got away from what I asked!! :eyebrow:

Anyway, thanks for info and helpful hints. Like doing tanks and snorkeling if I can.

Do I need a float and a dive flag?

Jeff

pilot fish:
By alternative air source they mean octo, I'm sure.

Village Divers have no inventory of gear at all. Stinray is in Sheapshead Bay, right? You'd be better off going to Pan Aqua then all the way out to Bklyn.

Village Divers has inventory. Stingray Divers is just across the Williamsburg bridge. Pan Aqua doesn't have much invertory I can use, and I way prefer the walk over the bridge to Brooklyn (3 miles) on a sunny day to schlepping through midtown.

evad:
Village Divers has inventory. Stingray Divers is just across the Williamsburg bridge. Pan Aqua doesn't have much invertory I can use, and I way prefer the walk over the bridge to Brooklyn (3 miles) on a sunny day to schlepping through midtown.

Village Divers has a tiny one room deal. Stinray is in Willamsbugh? Yes, the schelp cross town to Pan Aqua can be a pain in the snorkel.

Willamsburgh has Peter Luger's Steak House, its only attraction for me :)

AevnsGrandpa:

Anyway, thanks for info and helpful hints. Like doing tanks and snorkeling if I can.

Jeff

Sorry about that. I figured you'd gotten a pretty good answer from the DR site. You absolutly need a flag to avoid fines and being hit by a boat. For air fills, I go to Force-E just up the road in Pompano 'cause they're cheaper than the shop by the pier. And for $5.00 nitrox fills I go a little further to Fill Express. The shop 1 block from the pier
is Deep Blue something. You can just get your airfill and walk straight to datura and in to the water without stopping. Its kind of fun.

evad:
Sorry about that. I figured you'd gotten a pretty good answer from the DR site. You absolutly need a flag to avoid fines and being hit by a boat. For air fills, I go to Force-E just up the road in Pompano 'cause they're cheaper than the shop by the pier. And for $5.00 nitrox fills I go a little further to Fill Express. The shop 1 block from the pier
is Deep Blue something. You can just get your airfill and walk straight to datura and in to the water without stopping. Its kind of fun.

Evad is correct. I think we were all told, it's in our PADI book, never to shore dive without a flag/visable marker. Forget the fines, who wants boats and jet skiis zooming overhead?

Oh yeah, take your compass, leave your computer at home. Also I don't know what shape the pier is in but its a neat dive in itself if you like barracuda. Its a great reference point re the "real" reef. You can use it and the compass to line yourself up and just keep going east 'til you hit the highest profile part of the reef.

AevnsGrandpa:

Jeff

If you are going to shore dive you'll need a flag and float, otherwise most dive boats supply them in that area. A safety sausage and whistle may not be such a bad investment for this trip though.

Mike

You must carry a dive flag and float. Marine Patrol will stop and fine you if you don't. Unfortunatley, the flag will not protect you against boaters, some who think that they get extra points if the flag run over.

Yes, it is shallow enough to snorkel, and for many people this is their first experience seeing what we sometimes take for granted.

Shore diving is very easy, just walk out to chest deep water, put on your fins and swim on your back till you hit the reef. Descend and go against the current. It is not uncommon to get an hour and half dive on one tank.

There are two main reef lines. The first one is just past the bouys (also refferred to as the cans), and the second one is about 50 yards past that. If the vis isn't realy good on the first reef, go to the second.

The pier is partially open to fishermen, so I don't know if you can dive it anymore or not. We were there this weekend and didn't see much.

Good luck and have fun. If you let us know the dates you will be in town, there might be a person or three that can play tour guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom