Lauderdale-by-the-sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AevnsGrandpa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have read here on the board the Lauderdale-by-the-sea is a great basic shore dive.

Can someone tell me where specifically is a good place to start the shore dive or is the entire shore a good place!!!

Jeff

AevnsGrandpa:
That is great and just what I am looking for!!

Jeff
Jeff, Datura is a great shore dive. When conditions are right - which is often - the water is warm and the visibility good with lots to see.

We see a lot of new shore dives gearing up on the beach, or dropping their gear on the beach when the exit. We recommend gearing up at your car (or at the benches if you can't find parking that close... drop your gear and then park) and walking directly into the water to put your fins on when about chest-deep. No need to ever get anything sandy except your feet.

We also see folks rush over the reef, looking for something better and missing a lot of detail. Even the near-shore area before the reef (just outside the "cans") holds amazing life. Octopus, slipper lobster and small eels are more exposed there and are easier to find. A friend of ours never makes it to the main part of the first reef because he finds so much in the rubble... I've failed to be as good but he never misses.

Keep your head up occasionally and you may see a turtle, large taurpin or snook, or a school of fish at the surface - needle fish are fun to watch and I once saw one disappear as a bird snatched it from above!

Finally, though tanks are nice you don't need them if you are a good snorkler. I choose to snorkel 8 out of 10 outings. It's warmer and you can get farther out (because you won't run out of air). It's a different experience... a nice change. Of course the tanks are best. The best snorkeling is between the pier and Datura, just outside the "cans."

Yes. Broward County has a diverse selection of wrecks, from shallow to tech.
Here is a list of wrecks, I don't know how complete it is.
http://www.dixiediver.com/shipwreck.htm

Scuba_Jenny:
Yes. Broward County has a diverse selection of wrecks, from shallow to tech.
Here is a list of wrecks, I don't know how complete it is.
http://www.dixiediver.com/shipwreck.htm

Thanks, Jenny. That's very helpful. Those wrecks are typically what I might get to dive out of Fort Lauderdale with ProDivers?

pilot fish:
Thanks, Jenny. That's very helpful. Those wrecks are typically what I might get to dive out of Fort Lauderdale with ProDivers?

Ask ProDivers.

pilot fish:
eoooooooooooooooooooooo kerplunk

OK, OK, Ok, that's not really an answer. Sorry. We have all been around long enough,[Im assuming you have too, although you have not filled in any dive info], so we know that what a dive op will tell you they are going to do might be a tad different than what other divers on this board will tell you about a dive op and sites they usually go to. Divers on this board are very helpful in that regard and don't have an interest in any dive op so have little reason to give you false info.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom