Latex Seal Trimming ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pez7378

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I have trimmed the Latex Seals of my new dry suit. The neck seal is now somewhat manageable and I am afraid to trim too much for obvious reasons. How would I know if I've gone too far? :icon10: Is stretching necessary with latex or is just trimming sufficient? When I tried the suits on in the LDS all the neck seals choked the :censored: out of me so I didn't get to experience the correct fit.

:confused: :confused:

You want it as tight as you can comfortably deal with ... the latex will stretch with use. If you trim it to be just snug now, it'll eventually stretch to the point where it leaks.

I usually trim mine to feel a bit tight, then stretch it over an AL80 for a day or so ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Or you can use a pet soda bottle (large one).

i stretch a neck seal over a steel 8 inch tank for a day before trimming.....once ya cut it you are commited

Pez7378:
So I have trimmed the Latex Seals of my new dry suit. The neck seal is now somewhat manageable and I am afraid to trim too much for obvious reasons. How would I know if I've gone too far? :icon10: Is stretching necessary with latex or is just trimming sufficient? When I tried the suits on in the LDS all the neck seals choked the :censored: out of me so I didn't get to experience the correct fit.

:confused: :confused:

why did'nt the LDS cut the seals for you upon purchase??Anyway cut one ring at a time till bearable,really not noticeable once in water..stretching with latex does not work only with neoprene seals..

Did you have some help with the trimming, or some reference like the Airspeed Press book? If not, you might want to have someone who knows check your job. Small irregularities in the trimming can become start points for tears.

According to the book, latex seals don't have much memory, and therefore prestretching them is probably not very useful (although I did it for whatever good it could do). My experience was that, over time, though, latex seals DO stretch and therefore I cut my new ones to be a little uncomfortable to begin with.

You mean you're supposed to trim those things! After all these years and I just thought it was me. Trimming your neck seal, who'd a thunk it, now I probably won't get so dizzy

I had LDS trim mine when new but everyone said it looked too tight. So I contacted DUI for instructions. Their owners manual says that with my neck size to trim to the 1st or 2nd ring but also says to contact the customer service desk if you've already worn it. The person I spoke with said the rings are just a guide and to take one ring off at a time. I ended up taking 2 rings off and still I'm at the 6th ring. The seal doesn't roll up at the top anymore and is a lot more comfortable. She said that you don't want your skin on your neck to fold out over the seal, which it still does a little in my case but I wanted to make sure it won't leak, and it isn't rolling up anymore. I still haven't had the chance to test it but I'm sure it's good. :D

Back
Top Bottom