Latest on Cozumel and Hurricane Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oops! Let me clarify!

I got the email from Alison's mom.

Sorry everyone...not enough coffee yet this morning!

Good Morning everyone. As you can see by my countdown, my family is schedule to head to Coz on Sunday. Have not called the travel agent yet, or Christi. Watching the board and waiting to hear about the electricity. Do not want to cancel but taking the kids for their first time, hoping for a great time for them. I have been and know how beautiful Coz can be. I am staying at El Cozumelnia. All this news is keeping me in the know.

Thanks

This was posted on the bill-in-tulsa.com board by Jennifer from Turtle Bay Bakery Cafe in Akumal. Overall quite good! I think some of the Caribbean islands and coastal Florida should take a look at the Mexican concrete construction. It's amazing that the damage from a Cat 4 storm in the Yucatan, as reported so far, is not more severe.

------------------
We had a 7 car caravan with 9 people, 9 dogs & 15 cats. Of course since I am the craziest one of all I had all of my 11 animals with me in the pathfinder. The traveling zoo. Bart stayed behind to finish batting down the hatches & went to Chetuymil, we on the other hand took the 9 hour drive to Pallenque. Rocio & Dani had found a nice hotel with a vet clinic that would board all of our animals. <The hurricane hit >Akumal with a force of 135mph, basically eye was directly above. Linda & Donny had decied to stay in her house in Tankah, <I was in contact with them till aboiut 10:30 at night <& at that point the winds were going about 85-90. The eye came about 1:30. Due to not much rain, Akumal faired pretty well. Most of the damage seems to be Palapa damage. Bud´s house was never boarded up >& blew out all the windows, Casa del Sol received some damage. The bakery lost some of it´s palapa, our Tankah were blown off the roof & the gas lines torn off the wall but seems to be holding together well. Out palapa upstairs at the house seems to be a bit more ventilated then before & we will probably be living downstairs for a while. Teri lost a lot of her palapa as well and they are in Yal ku kai #4.
Buddha Gardens Spa made it, just a little more slanted then before. Reports that Puerto Adventures was hit pretty bad, & have heard that the <Oasis & Italian Resort in Akumal hade some good damage, mostly all the palapas are gone. The biggest loss is all the trees & vegetation. Bart said that is the most shocking. The mangrove behind the rest is gone, all the gardens are goone, power should be out for a while, hard phone lines made it, cell tower in Akumal is down but the one in Tulum is okay. In the pueblo, not nearly as much damage as you would think.Most of the damage was on the front lower side. Once you go up the hill hardly any damage. All of the employees of ours came out ok & I don´t believe they lost any oif the houses. We head back this morning. Will be in contact as soon as possible. On another animal note, Bart has seen all the bakery cats except one who is probably around somewhere & all the cats from Konomi made it as well. The bunglows received some good damage but are stillstanding, all the windows in CEA blown out. We have a lot of work ahead of us but everything should be back to business in a few weeks <& by next high season after the rainy season all the vegetation will start to be back. It´s hard work living inparadise. To Cami & Richard,all pictures were removed,not sure about the condition of palapa. Talk to you all soon.
Jennifer

We are getting there -
Power is starting to come back on on different sections - Chedraui has power as of last night!!!
You can fly into Coz - BUT - PLEASE call your hotel directly as SOME hotels are not accepting guests yet(maybe for 1-2 days more)!!!!!!!!
Roberta from Roberta's Dive EcoCozumel/Scuba Shack/Blue Bubble (yeah - she owns all three!!) ALL is well with all shops/boats/hotel & personal.
Carib Blu LOOKS fine - Armando saw Sheila's car in front this AM - so Blue ANgel is getting back in the game too!!!
Word on the island - the hotel HARDEST hit - Iberostar.

Okay gang - just decided I am going for it tomorrow which means I have a TON of stuff to do today - so no more real reports - sorry!!! (Okay - I'll try later tonight)

Hugs to you all - and I will look very forward to seeing ALL of you down there!!!!!

Photocoz:
We are getting there -
Power is starting to come back on on different sections - Chedraui has power as of last night!!!
You can fly into Coz - BUT - PLEASE call your hotel directly as SOME hotels are not accepting guests yet(maybe for 1-2 days more)!!!!!!!!
Roberta from Roberta's Dive EcoCozumel/Scuba Shack/Blue Bubble (yeah - she owns all three!!) ALL is well with all shops/boats/hotel & personal.
Carib Blu LOOKS fine - Armando saw Sheila's car in front this AM - so Blue ANgel is getting back in the game too!!!

Okay gang - just decided I am going for it tomorrow which means I have a TON of stuff to do today - so no more real reports - sorry!!! (Okay - I'll try later tonight)

Hugs to you all - and I will look very forward to seeing ALL of you down there!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!! And let us know how you fare?

Photocoz:
We are getting there -

Any news on the Presidente? Sorry to bother you.

Mawg:
Any news on the Presidente? Sorry to bother you.

I just got this info from my travel agent:

Maxwell,
This is what I know so far. The south end of the island got the direct hit, The Iberostar and the Grand are closed for maybe 3 months.
Town and the hotels close to town have electricity and are doing fine and back in business.

They are not having flights on the 20th of July but the 22 nd seems fine.

That's all I know!

PS. Sorry about my earlier rant on cruise ships and the big themed restaurants. I haven't changed my feelings, but this was probably not the best thread for that.

Glad to hear things are starting to get back up and running!

Local dive op taking a plane load to Cozumel next week. How did the Reef Club fare??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom