Latest on Cozumel and Hurricane Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett:
Can you give us a link to the other site that provided this info. We are staying at El Cozumeleno this week and we're trying to find out if it will be able to accomodate us or not. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

It was on Scubadiving.com

On Yahoo News I found a nice slide show. No cozumel, but alot of mexico. Several Duplicates.

leiserom:
Any report on damage to El Cid. Going to be there around Labor Day.No big deal just curious.
That is where our shop is!!!!
El Cid faired well, lost some trees but that is it!
Looking forward to seeing you!
I am going to put up a new post from the lastest info on the island in a few minutes.

Okay -
Bottom line - The mainland, specifically Playa del Carmen, Puerto Aventuras, Akumal & Tulum got hit MUCH harfer than Cozumel.
To answer some questions and give some information.
*To those that loathe Carlos n Charlies yeah they got some front cosmetic damage too.
The slver shop on the corner just north of the post office - wiped out (but it was vacant - no shop there for the past 10 days)
2 windows at Cozumel Resort knocked out
Scuba Club - no problem except beach clean up
El Cid no problem except beach clean up
Christi's shop is perfect!!! Armando saw Christi riding by on a scooter with someone today - she waved & gave the thumbs up signal!!!!
The hotels in the north of the island (Cozumeleno, Melia etc...) did better than those in the south
Allegro, Occidental & Reef Club ALL have palapa roof damage & "it looks like a giant weed eater went through the property" but no critical structural dmage (this according to my neighbor)

THERE IS NO RADIO SIGNAL!!!! So NO ONE has or is getting OFFICIAL information. So we do not really know about any deaths or injuries. STill no power - and NO official word as to when. BUT...Armando said he has seen a lot of light poles down, but NOT power poles/transformers. There was an official meeting of the hotel managers this evening - Armando was going over to El Cid to find out the info they got in hopes it will hold some key to the power issue.
It rained (torrential downpours)for about 3 hours this afternoon - he felt things were more flooded this afternoon, than from last night.
People (and lots of them) are still at the convention center as oppossed to thier hotel - due to the no power situation. The convention center does not have power either.
Due to no electricity, food WILL become an issue - they are trying to get tourists OFF the island, not on. That includes me - I am having a heck of a time getting home!
If you are flying into Cancun (which faired better than Playa, Aventuras, Tulum etc..) there is NO way to get from Cancun to Playa at this moment - there is a 1/2 mile stretch of road COVERED in downed power lines. And if you did get to Playa (getting through town would be a challenge) There is no way to get to Cozumel. ALL of the ferries (Yes, ALL) are still in Isla Mujeres (By the way for any of you that know Krista, Sandy and the FURY CATAMERAN gang they are all fine - all the catamerans are fine, also in Isla Mujeres, they expect to bring them back to Cozumel this weekend)

I saw the pics on the stormcarib page - WOW - when I described them to Armando I thought he started to cry, he said, "we were so lucky, make that blesssed. Cozumel could have been that, but it isn't."
He has NOT driven back into the colonies to see, but is sure that if it wasn't an actual structure (in other words, shacks) it was not still standing. But structures in Coz SEEM to have done FAR better than the mainland.

I remember after Hurricane Roxanne (95) after a week of no power, I gave up & went to Miami for a shower & hot meal. Believe me, it is not fun. Tropical island, no power, not a good combo!!!!
HOPEFULLY since we have our own power plant now, it will come back sooner - just don't know yet.
Clearly I am starting to ramble, mental exhaution has set in.
I will continue to try to find out different things based on questions posed in the board (let's not start doing the PM thing - that could get overwhelming)
The minute I know - you guys will know!!!!!!

thanks fothe info Holly! different reports on the Coz airport being open? any info there or on the Hotel Caea Del mar? Thanks again for the help

Thank you Holly (and vicariously Armando) - it's good to be getting the first-hand info rather than the rumors.

I am hoping and praying things will be well enough on their way to recovery to be able to see you on Saturday. :)

HeyMikey:
thanks fothe info Holly! different reports on the Coz airport being open? any info there or on the Hotel Caea Del mar? Thanks again for the help
No OFFICIAL word yet - but most likely it is going to open, BUT TO GET PEOPLE OFF THE ISLAND - NOT ON YET!!!!!! No food, no lights, no motor cars - oh wait at least we have motor cars, but you get the idea. As soon as they know they can get power on (safety, hygene etc..) then I am sure you can get in.
Best advice - check with your airline - they might have the official word BEFORE the people in Cozumel!!!!!!!
Casa del Mar did OK - light damage, mostly trees and stuff.

BurBunny:
Thank you Holly (and vicariously Armando) - it's good to be getting the first-hand info rather than the rumors.

I am hoping and praying things will be well enough on their way to recovery to be able to see you on Saturday. :)

I also am hoping & praying we see you on Saturday!!!!!!!!
You are very welcome - I know how scary the rumors can be - so no need for everyone to go through that (been there, done that - NO FUN!!!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom