Latest on Cozumel and Hurricane Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Holly,

So glad to hear that your place made it through the storm! Thanks so much for all of the updates (and big thanks to Armando, too!).

Do you have any info on Cozumel Palace and/or Fiesta Americana? I know one of your posts said something about cozumel resort (wasn't sure if that was the palace or not).

We were getting ready to book our next trip (November) but wanted to wait until the hurricane had passed and check out damage reports before making our bookings.

Thanks again for all your hard work!!!

Michelle & Rick

Just talked to a friend of mine who was on group trip that was on last plane to leave airport before it closed(continental flight). He said airport was a zoo. Believe it or not people were arriving on Saturday and Sunday on charter flights. Trip leader was nervous and couldnt sleep last two days. This is a guy who when he played pro basketball overseas a long time ago was on a flight that was hijacked to Beirut.

d56nut:
Hi Holly,

So glad to hear that your place made it through the storm! Thanks so much for all of the updates (and big thanks to Armando, too!).

Do you have any info on Cozumel Palace and/or Fiesta Americana? I know one of your posts said something about cozumel resort (wasn't sure if that was the palace or not).

We were getting ready to book our next trip (November) but wanted to wait until the hurricane had passed and check out damage reports before making our bookings.

Thanks again for all your hard work!!!

Michelle & Rick

Armando has not mentioned Cozumel Palace OR Fiesta AMericana to me - but I will ask him in the morning for you.
Cozumel Resort is the OLD Fiesta Inn, right accross from Scuba Club Cozumel.
I know you have also sent me an e-mail - I will answer that for you tomorrow! I am at my father in laws - I can access web but not my e-mail from here - so tomorrow I will go to Kinkos and log on get to you on that! Thanks for your patience!

Okay guys - I am going to cal lit a night. I am mentally wiped out from the past few days.
I will check the board first thing in the morning so I can put together my list of questions for Armando for when he calls.

Just as a personal note:
A) Thank you all for your prayers & well wishes - it made a HUGE difference!
B) I have gotten a lot of "Thank you Notes" you are all very welcome - rummors are dangerous, I want to make sure my friends get the real scoop ASAP!!!!!

Talk to you all in the AM!!!!!

Photocoz:
Hi!
My heart is breaking for those in Tulum, Akumal, Puerto Aventuras and Playa del Carmen. After being in ALL those spots last week taking images, it feels very erie. No they did not fair well I fear. I am trying DESPERATELY to reach Karen or Debbie from Dive Aventuras - to no luck yet.
If tourism takes a hit in Coz, I'll call CNN for a job!!!!!!
I'll keep you updated on the mainland stuff since I know you have close ties there. You may or may not have looked at this yet. And frankly, it may or may not be a good idea for you to do so - but www.stormcarib.com has a great liknk to 181 photos from a guy (in Cancun I think) that turned my stomach - but helped put Coz into perspective.

When I saw this map I just wanted to cry http://cozumeldivemap.com/emily.html. There's been some posts of second hand information about condos on Half Moon Bay being in good shape. I'd expect that - God bless concrete & rebar! When the staff from CEA get back tomorrow I'm sure there will be more info on the local villages like Akumal Pueblo, Chemuyil, Tulum Pueblo. If I gather any reliable info I'll post it.

No catastrophic damage on Coz or the mainland and no lives lost so overall it's a great day.

Back
Top Bottom