Latest on Cozumel and Hurricane Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stay safe.
I'm saying my prayers for you.
And just to cover all the bases, I've sacrificed a snorkel to the scuba gods too. :)

Thanks for the update Christi. You and the crew are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay safe!

Hi Christi,

Good luck out there, looks like you got the preparations covered and you're keeping an eye on things. I just looked and she's nearly packing 150mph winds!!!

Be sure you have all your vital papers and electronics wrapped in plastic or waterproofed.

Got my fingers crossed
nic

Christi, good luck to you, your crew and your friends (and also your new truck).

Stay safe.

Michael

Hey Christi

Stay safe and dry! You can always camp out in RR if you need too :) See you soon.

Our preparations are in the final stages and now we just wait!

Shamu is as secure as she is going to get...out of the water and very securely tied down.

We are definitley experiencing the calm before the storm right now. It has been a gorgeous day, and the sea looks like a lake at 6:00 in the morning...flat and glassy.

Anyway...I've got a few more details to take care of...so I'll check in later!

to all our friends in the Yucatan - you are in our thoughts and prayers. May you all stay safe.

My prayers are with you & all of those in the path of Emily.

The ocean front hotels have in fact been evacuated. Iberostar guests are in the convention center. I believe Allegro, Occidental and Reef club guests are also being moved there. Playa Azul guests will be moved to the Days Inn tomorrow. Cozemelino guests are being put in the Cozemelino's convention hall.

A dry law went into effect at 11:00 this morning suspending all alcohol sales to ANYONE until further notice. This includes hotels, restaurants, bars, liquor stores and cantinas.

The only businesses still open at this point are SOME restaurants, hardware stores, the grocery stores, gas station, and lumber yards. they will stay open as long as they have supplies and until they need to secure themselves. Just about everything else is boarded up and shut down.

ALL ferries are gone, including the car ferry.

I believe there will still be flights out tomorrow morning, but according to my sources, nothing coming in until Tuesday at the very earliest.

Emily is a strong Category 4 hurricane (approaching 5) now with sustained winds of 155mph/250kph and higher gusts.

I've talked with a few of my fellow dive shop owner friends today, and I'd be lying if I said we weren't nervous. We've all secured our boats, shops, and are finishing the details on our homes. I will say that the sense of community in preparing for this storm has been refreshing and really heart-warming. We all want to get this over with so we can get back to business as soon as possible.

Finally, for those of you who have trips scheduled to arrive in the next few days or within the week, please be patient and let us get through this thing. When it's over, we'll all have a better idea of when life will get back to normal...although of course, it will be as soon as possible.

I am breaking away as often as I can to check the storm status and occasionslly the board.

Please do not be surprised, angry, impatient, etc. if you don't receive an response from your DO, hotel, etc. We are working feverishly to protect life and property, and that is honestly our highest priority right now. The details are overwhelming!

I just heard that Telmex, our phone company will be taking down the satellites tomorrow, morning, which will mean NO phone service or internet service for the island. If you don't hear back from me or anyone, you'll know why!

On behalf of everyone here...thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers!

Back
Top Bottom