Latest on Cozumel and Hurricane Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi:
Yes, unusual and scary! We have 4 more months of this to look forward to!

I don't like that Gilbert comparison AT ALL!!! :11:

Was there in May and usually, we come in Aug. as well. Not gonna happen this year because of business. Thinkin about comin around mid November. Not worried about the storms so much Christi, just curious about the diving as I have never been in November.

I'm sure keeping an eye on Emily......Supposed to leave here for Coz Monday morning. According to models, it may have cleared the Yucatan by then. Well see.

Regards, :eyebrow:

MoonWrasse:
If true, Chicago can expect a vist from her sometime next week after she does a bank shot off of Chihuahua Mexico.

Chihuahua-a-go-go!

Hey, we need the rain up here and all but... :wink:

Hang in there Christi, our thoughts are with you. Keep Shamu safe! We'll see ya sometime in Aug. (fingers-crossed).

I hope she turns north.

nwdiver2:
I hope she turns north.

There's some good news here, actually. The predicted track yesterday showed it taking a dead bead on Cozumel, or even a little south, which is worse. Even a little more northerly course puts Cozumel on the "better" side of the storm. Fingers crossed, watching anxiously.

I promised many people that I would keep everyone apprised of the status here. Many of you have been following the actual storm status, but for those of you who haven't, I'll summarize.

Emily has once again strengthened, now to a category 4 Hurricane with winds of 140mph +/- and we are once again directly in her path without much to stop her. Jamaica and Cayman are under a hurricane warning now with Emily expected to pass just south of them this morning.

Actually, as I write this, the NW part of the storm is right on top of Jamaica.

The island is evacuating tourists from the island today. Certain airlines and charter companies are flying in extra planes to take people out. Many hotels have already sent people to the mainland, including the new Cozumel Palace.

The passenger ferry will suspend operations today at noon and all ferries will be taken to Isla Mujeres where there is a secure marina.

The electricity will be kept on as long as possible, but as the higher winds approach, the city will shut down all power until the storm has passed. The good news here is that we used to only get power from the mainland, we now have power plants able to generate power for the island. The electricity is much more reliable and "modernized" since Gilbert and Roxanne. There is also a private power plant that can generate power for the island if needed. So hopefully we will not be without power for long regardless of how strong she hits...of course this remains to be seen.

Yesterday afternoon it was apparent that the locals were beginning to take Emily seriously. Gas lines wrapped through town like serpents, and the grocery store lines extended back through the store. I made the grocery store run Thursday morning as soon as they opened, but decided to go back last night for some extra containers to fill with water while we still have it. I was in line for well over an hour and the lines in Chedraui extended deeper into the store than the middle section for those of you familiar with Chedraui. Lumber stores are also a madhouse as you can imagine, fortunately my shop has hurricane doors and my house has protector bars on all windows except the sliding glass door upstairs, so I only have to cover that today.

We started preparing early and filled up all vehicles, and six 50 liter containers of gas two days ago. Shamu is being pulled out of the water as we speak. I was a little late trying to get a generator, but we'll make it without one.

Anyway, we have about 36 more hours to wait and alot can happen with Emily during that time...hopefully she'll end up doing what Ivan did and go up through the channel and not do too much damage to anyone.

I'll post any new updates I know of.

In the meantime, let's keep our prayers in place for Jamaica and the Caymans. I heard from Keith and Casey of Neptune Divers last night, and they are secured and ready (as ready as anyone can be).

Thanks to everyone for your well wishes. Your thoughts and prayers mean the world to us all.

Hang in there Christi. I hate it when these things are on the way. Adrenaline pumping, thinking about it weakening....getting stronger....waiting.....Tie down that nice new truck and head south for Belize !! My prayers are for you. Hank

Hank49:
Hang in there Christi. I hate it when these things are on the way. Adrenaline pumping, thinking about it weakening....getting stronger....waiting.....Tie down that nice new truck and head south for Belize !! My prayers are for you. Hank

Thanks Hank! I'm actually looking for a garage to put the truck in. Otherwise, she will be parked in my yard which has pretty high walls around it. The small truck fits in my garage, but the new one doesn't :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom