Laser eye surgery, recommended doctors in Orange County / So Cal area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formula1mb@aol.com

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This year I decided to finally get laser eye surgery and have put aside the FSA money to do it for once. Can someone recommend a good doctor in the Orange County or southern California area? For something this important, I rather minimize the risk and potential for problems!

Also, is there a particular type that is recommended, esp with regards to diving?

Thank you for the help!

Robert

---------- Post added January 6th, 2013 at 01:42 AM --------

Last edited:
I am an ophthalmic photographer living in Chicago, so cannot comment on SoCal docs.

However, I would suggest contacting your local ophthalmologist or optometrist. If you do not have one, then ask friends about theirs. It would be a very good idea obtain an exam which could help you define exactly which type of procedure might work best for you and a provider for this surgery. How is it you decided that this surgery would be right for you?

Another avenue of inquiry would be to contact the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Find an Eye M.D.

Finally, I would not use someone who advertises the lowest price around. Angie's list or some other means of evaluating the practice would be worth the effort.

Hi!
I've been lurking around on here for while. I saw your post and decided to jump in and give some input.
I had LASIK done at Laser Eye Center a few months ago. I did have to stay away from the beach for a month while I healed, but other than that I had no complications and have been in love with my ability to see again!
Check them out if you're still researching. They have free consultations and a lot of locations I believe, there should be one near you.
LASIK Los Angeles - LASIK Eye Surgery LA / Orange County, CA | Laser Eye Center

Depending on your age, be prepared to lose some of your short vision. I've loved not having to wear glasses on a regular basis, but now need to carry magnifying glass for seeing small stuff. Also, on land, my food is always blurry, have to read with glasses, etc. There was no real warning on that . . .well, actually in fairness there was, but no emphasis on it. I believe it should have had more emphasis.

Thank you for the feedback! I'm still researching for now but the more information, the better. From my point of view, I would hate to lose any of my short vision in exchange for long vision but hopefully it's a small risk. I'm still relatively young (32) and really would love to be able to get rid of my contacts and glasses for once. From people I've talked with, they're all very happy they did it and finally ready to take the plunge.

For anyone that doesn't wear glasses or contacts, it may not seem like it's too big a deal but not having to constantly worry about cleaning my glasses or where are my contacts, remembering to pack them and a back-up for trips, etc. would be such a relief. Worst thing I hate personally is when you're being more active like exercising, working on my car, or anything where you can sweat and always being fogged up and having to wipe them clean.

Any other feedback and recommendations for doctors in the area would be great!

I have a phenomenal doctor for you!! Dr. Brian Boxler-Wachler Proprietary Fortified LASIK Los Angeles, Keratoconus, I-Brite, Boxer Wachler reviews He has won tons of awards from the medical community as being at the top of his field. He is such a nice down to earth guy! AND a diver so he "gets it".

Read his patient stories BOXER WACHLER REVIEWS Everyone is very pleased with him from Dr. Phil, Rod Stewart, Steve Holcomb (Olympic bobsledder) to the everyday folks like us! For the caliber of people he treats and his location I was worried that he might be very snobby but he is a totally amazing doctor.

My boyfriend actually had his eyes done when Dr. Brian first opened his practice in Beverly Hills. My bf has always said it's the best thing he ever did! He is a master scuba instructor and his eyesight was very important. When years later I started not being able to see dive gauges as well as I wanted to, I decided to take the plunge. And it was the best thing I did! (Two years ago). The procedure is really pain free, super quick! and life changing. The only restriction was I had to stay out of the water only 2 weeks.

When I did it, he charged a $95 fee for a complete eye exam and consultation where we discussed all options, toured where the surgery is done (in his office), explained costs and payment options, etc.

I had to travel at the time 2 hours for any appointment with him but being that it was my eyes, I wanted the best! As I had Kaiser Permanente insurance at the time, since I was going outside of them they wouldn't cover it and they tried to talk me into using one of their doctors. But I wanted the very best and from the success my BF and the confidence he had in Dr. Brian I decided to pay for it out of pocket (I had a HSA that I put away for it)

He also has THE most phenomenal staff in any medical office I've ever seen! If you have your eyes done by Dr. Brian, you will not regret the whole experience at all!

---------- Post added January 9th, 2013 at 10:25 AM ----------

Oh one more thing...the way he does the procedure you do not lose reading ability! Several people I talked to prior to and afterwards said they wouldn't do it because "you can't have it done for reading" WRONG. I can see far away and my reading ability up close is phenomenal. I can read such small lines of print it's insane! I actually had it done more for the reading ability. I became frustrated with not seeing dive gauges, texts on cell phones and impossible to read menus in restaurants. And finally said enough! And did it ....and can do all of those things now :)

I'm glad you started this thread as I was just about to do the same when I saw yours.

One thing I would like to know is: how do the eyes respond to pressure changes post operation? I had a doctor warn me off of eye surgery several years ago for this very reason...

Well, i think you can have both eyes done at the same time and there are different types of surgery that you can do. Speak to your gp or opticians to find out if they have any knowledge on the best thing to do. You'd better go to the laser surgery eye treatment to ask the cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom