Las Vegas area Scuba Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunday, may 11th

i know its mother's day, but perhaps for those that aren't celebrating and want to go for a dive, i'm thinking about going for a couple of dives...

i can bring the grill and burn a few burgers, too!

just let me know.

cheers,

--c

FYI

Was out at the lake this morning and it looks like Saddle Cove is now closed. The turnoff from Lakeshore Road is blocked off with big "Road Closed" signs now.

SO SAD!!! I had my new strobe all ready setup and we were going to go try it out today at the Lake. We had no where else to go, so we just came home. Maybe I will go take pictures of the bottom of the pool.

I arrived at Saddle Cove this morning around 8:15 and saw the "road closed" signs but noticed that the road itself wasn't blocked in any way, and we saw cars down at the cove, so we went down and got three dives in. Other divers and fishermen were there and more arrived throughout the day and nobody got hassled by the rangers (as far as I saw).

Highlight of the day? The pontoon boat which motored into the cove just minutes after we finished our third dive with the operator screaming, "What do I do now?" as he crashed into the shore literally 20 feet from where we had just made our exit.

So I ask again, any alternative shore diving locations at Lake Mead?

gonna go to boulder beach on sunday or monday to map out some new areas...

will post what i find!

--c

saddlecoveclosure1.jpg

saddlecoveclosure2.jpg

My dive buddy and I got a good laugh out of the sign that says "please drive carefully" as it comes after the "road closed" signs.

Looking forward to hearing what you find at Boulder Beach.

in order to avoid the beach crowd, if any, i'm gonna go on thursday or friday...

will try to navigate and get some insight into the diving... depth, time to depth, distance to depth, visability, etc...

will let everyone know what i find!

--c

...status of Lake Mead shore diving...

divercrossing.gif

Well, it's not very deep! I parked the FJ as far North in the parking area at boulder beach. At the buoy, it's about 10 feet deep! Yep, only 10 feet. The good news is that the water was 66 degrees and I did it in a 3mm, no gloves, and no hood. A 5/3 hooded vest in addition would work well for longer / multiple dives. What was really cool was that the silt is only about 3 inches thick and granular in nature, so the visibility stayed in the 15-20 foot range. I knelt down in it and it didn't create a gigantic cloud. I could feel the warmth radiating off the bottom, too. The swim to the buoy was about 10 minutes, but at a very slow pace... I swam for another 5 minutes and got to 23 feet deep. I didn't surface, so I don't know how far out I was, but at that depth, I wasn't using a lot of air; that's for sure! I think this will be a decent area for classes until we can find something deeper. I know 15 feet minimum is the rule, so at least that is covered. Time would be covered, too. A great opportunity to practice buoyancy! I think I was quite far out as the silt started to pick up and visibility dropped to about 5 feet. Perhaps I was in the Jet Ski / boat lane as I could hear a constant buzzing. With the gigantic dive flag I made, it should warn others to stay away. At the very least, the park service would see someone running the gauntlet and give them a ticket. It would be really hard to miss it and the park service was out in full force, today! I am sure it was over 100 degrees at the lake. So in a nutshell, do-able. Preferable, definitely better than Scuba Park. I kayaked over there and the visibility was really bad. Maybe 1 foot with luck and only 10 feet deep. I just kept the mask to the bottom and modified frogged around. There was a class out there doing their first open water. Hmmmmmm?

This would be a great area for rescue diver class. The rescuer would have a solid swim to the shore and would test their mettle. The shore area wasn't too rocky, so walking around wasn't difficult. I would definitely recommend bring a cart or wagon to bring stuff to the shore. There was no way to drive in and with the park service out; I didn't want to 4x4 it over the parking barrier.

We were out at Cabinsite Cove both Saturday and Sunday morning this weekend. We had to leave our house in Summerlin at 4am and got there at 6am. Conditions were terrific, but on Saturday the beach was packed by 10am. Sunday wasn't has bad. However, temperature was an issue. It was in the 70s when we got there, and over 100 when we left at around noon. Water temp was around 65 to about 65 feet. No bad at all. Visibility was excellent, 40 feet or more. We could see the van and bus quite clearly from the surface. And down below, we could see one from the other. This actually surprised me at first since last time I dove there was with an instructor who I followed from place to place. I though they were a ways apart at that time.

We had a great time. I posted some pictures on our site at: Lake Mojave - Cabin Site Cove pictures

Back
Top Bottom