Large and In Charge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you're overweight to the point that it's impairing your health, especially heart health...

Not to dredge up a potentially sore subject but, by definition, being overweight IS impairing your health.

Not to dredge up a potentially sore subject but, by definition, being overweight IS impairing your health.

Unless you can see every one of your ribs clearly when you inhale, then by definition, you're obese. And if you can only see your ribs when you exhale, then by definition, you're morbidly obese.

:eat:

And all this time, I thought the definition of "obese" was a BMI of 30 or greater, and that the definition of "morbidly obese" was a BMI greater than 40. :shakehead:

And all this time, I thought the definition of "obese" was a BMI of 30 or greater, and that the definition of "morbidly obese" was a BMI greater than 40. :shakehead:

Well you were wrong sir - it's all about the ribs!:D

Hello !!!

They're MODELS !!!!

the K

A couple of points which, while not applying to everyone, should be understood.

First, the number one cause of real emergencies in scuba diving is cardiac problems. People who are overweight have a tendency towards greater cardiac problems. If you're overweight and scuba diving, it is in your interest to at least have a stress test done to make sure there are no clear and obvious heart issues. And taking up a bit of exercising when not in the water will help no matter one's weight as it will improve your sac rate.

Second, a person's body fat %-age has a moderately high correlation to DCS events. This may be because of reasons not related to body fat, but right now that is a predominant hypothesis.

Neither of the above two points, however, are reasons to avoid scuba diving provided you are in moderately good health with no pre-existing conditions. Rather, they are potential dangers which may apply to an over weight person slightly more than to a more physically fit individual. Scuba is a sport with some risk, and being over weight raises that risk level slightly. It is only a slight increase, however. Being aware of the issues is important, but being scared off by them is missing the point.

Lastly, as mentioned above, air consumption is going to have a great deal to do with weight. Your body tissues need oxygen, and your air consumption is driven in large part by fitness levels. More tissues need more air, and the less in shape you are, the less efficient you are at oxygenating your tissues.

So don't worry about being over weight, lots of divers in less than perfect shape love the sport and are quite good at it. But do take into consideration some of the realities that being over weight bring to bear. you should have a solid physical, including a stress test, before taking on any physically demanding or stressful sport. Remember to be more conservative in your dive profiles to off-set the potential dangers of DCS related to body fat. And consider taking up exercise to allow yourself more bottom time.

Other that that - have a blast!!

And they're.... off !

:popcorn: :coke:

Guess what? I'm a new diver, two more dives to certification! I'm a 55 year old female who is overweight but non the less healthy. Just ask my doctor! I felt the same way, why are all pictures of scuba divers these slim young people? But true to myself, I did the class work, went through the CW instruction in the pool, and yes participated with those slender divers for my first two OW dives. And guess what? You'll never find a greater bunch of people than those you will dive with. We helped each other out on the boat, checked each other's gear, laughed and made small talk with each other and overall just had a great time. Now, one more thing. For the past 18 months I have been working very hard to build muscle and lose weight so that I would be physically strong enough to suite up and dive. IÃ×e made a lot of progress but I still have a long way to go. Will I ever look good in a wet suit? Not in this lifetime. But thatÃÔ not the point. The point is to live your dream and not let other peopleÃÔ perceptions get in the way!

LOL GREAT RESPONSES!

No company is likely to feature overweight, ugly, dirty, etc models in their advertising, regardless of their product - the dive industry is no different. We are unlikely to see the woman who recently got a face transplant on the cover of Scubapro's catalog anytime soon.

Most of us could stand to lose a few lbs, me included.

You will be fine!

Back
Top Bottom