Large and In Charge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL GREAT RESPONSES!

No company is likely to feature overweight, ugly, dirty, etc models in their advertising, regardless of their product - the dive industry is no different. We are unlikely to see the woman who recently got a face transplant on the cover of Scubapro's catalog anytime soon.

Most of us could stand to lose a few lbs, me included.

You will be fine!

Overweight, ugly, dirty. Sign me up, well not the dirty part but if I was getting paid...OK.:eyebrow:

I've often wondered if all those tool models on the calendar are really good mechanics, too.

Same-same.
I'm sure they are or they would not be featured - I'm told they are all master mechanics - why else would they be there?

I was thinking of your example after I posted - really good example of advertising b/c what do they have to do w/ tools, auto parts, etc?

Unless you can see every one of your ribs clearly when you inhale, then by definition, you're obese. And if you can only see your ribs when you exhale, then by definition, you're morbidly obese.

:eat:

I don't know about you sir, but I find it easier to push my plate of ribs a lil further out on the table so I don't have to be sucking up to see them. Dribble stains or the norm........

DUI loves us bigger folks. Trust me on that one. I've learn to deal with the insane prices dive manufacturers place on larger items. Do I believe in it? Absolutly not. In that case these bone size divers should be gettin discounts for the less amount of material it takes to produce their goods.

Kenny

DUI loves us bigger folks.

What's DUI? From my past employment, I view this as a bad thing! Surely you mean something different...hmmm....Diving Under Igloos? No, how about Diving Up Instantly?.

Hmm...somehow I think I'm missing something....:confused:

Diving Unlimited International / drysuit manufacture

DUI is a dry suit manufacture that makes big $$$ off custom suit orders and from what I have seen most people don't fit into the stock size suits they offer...

Scuba, like any sport, is filled with acronyms and I believe there is a great article on it somewhere around this site, the search function should turn it up.

Get a fusion drysuit and a BP/W and then it pretty much wont matter what size you are (to a point) and they should still fit...

Not to dredge up a potentially sore subject but, by definition, being overweight IS impairing your health.

Yeah, I love it when one of my 350-pound patients says, "I'm perfectly healthy...."

They live in a different reality than most of us.

Yeah, I love it when one of my 350-pound patients says, "I'm perfectly healthy...."

They live in a different reality than most of us.

We have to! Us fatties have much different experiences in the same situations as you skinny folk.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining. I'm one of those "fat by choice" people, as I'm addicted to food. I was born big (10 lbs 12 oz), but I have no medical reason for being fat (5'11 between 260 and 275 depending on the scale). But still, I love food and would rather be fat and happy with a shorter life then skinny and hungry with a longer life. To each his own I guess.

This post got a little deeper then I intended it to. Sorry... I just hope this doesn't kill the thread.

It's all marketing, however simply by surrounding yourself with others whom like to get out and be somewhat active changes your overall demographic exposure.
You are very unlikely to see a morbidly obese person, but you will see plenty of typical overweight individuals.

If you think you want to drop a few pounds, though, do it before you invest in your gear, or at least the parts that are fit-dependent. I got exactly three dives on a new wetsuit before losing enough that the wetsuit is useless to me.

Now I'm just another diver perpetuating the "we're all model hot" myth. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom