Large and In Charge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax Teller

Reaction score
# of dives
Hey everyone

Of all the pictures I've seen of scuba divers, I have yet to see a diver who is overweight. Is there a legitimate reason for this (like a weight limit for skydiving), or is it just because they want the socially accepted attractive people on their advertisements?

I'm not the biggest person in the world, but I could definitely do to lose a few (or more) pounds. My pant size is about a 40/32; am I too tubby for scuba diving (equipment fit or anything), or is there no such size limits?

Once you stop laughing, I'd appreciate any responses. Thanks!

In the chance that it's just the media being themselves, I'm off to the buddy finder to see how many other divers are in my area (the land of 10,000 lakes...there has to be some...right?)

Thanks again!

The advertisements probably are not going to model their products with heavy people however, in the real world, large, very large, round divers are not uncommon. My experience is that they do very well in the water and have remarkable buoyancy control and seem to have a wonderful time. I think the weightlessness of proper diving comes as a relief for heavier people. Go diving, you will have fun.

...Of all the pictures I've seen of scuba divers, I have yet to see a diver who is overweight. Is there a legitimate reason for this (like a weight limit for skydiving), or is it just because they want the socially accepted attractive people on their advertisements?

Like most advertising, "sexy sells". That's the only reason. Go to a popular dive site, or a dive resort, and you'll see all body types.

...I'm not the biggest person in the world, but I could definitely do to lose a few (or more) pounds. My pant size is about a 40/32; am I too tubby for scuba diving (equipment fit or anything), or is there no such size limits?

You are not too big. You should be able to find equipment that fits "ok". Sometimes the extra large wetsuits also have longer legs, but companies like Akona and Bare and a few others I think have a pretty good selection of "off the rack" sizes, so you should be able to find a fairly decent fit. If not, custom wetsuits are available, and are actually not that much more than standard wetsuits.

A final word: Very, VERY few people look as good in full scuba gear as the models in the adds do. And most divers are the type of people who are out to have fun, not "look good", and could care less how other divers look.

So go have fun!

Best wishes.

Divers come in all shapes and sizes, don't believe what the advertisers are showing...you'll likely never see anyone that looks like that while diving.

Very, VERY few people look as good in full scuba gear as the models in the adds do.

Apparently I once married a wetsuit model.

She looked better in her suit than most people, but she still had snot running out of her nose like the rest of us.

SCUBA Diving is very glamourous. I seen James Bond do it.

no - that's what happen when you fart in a drysuit....! :D

With a more serious response to the OP -

the biggest diver I ever dived must have been a good 300 pounds or more. If I may speak bluntly and make a few points: Excess body fat is never good in general and also increases your predisposition to decompression sickness whilst underwater. I appreciate that there are a range of medical problems that makes it difficult for larger sized people to shed weight but trimming up a little can't hurt. On the other hand, the risk is minimal in recreational diving and I know some large sized instructors who dive almost every day with no specific problems.

Are you too tubby to go diving? Nah! Go for it! :)

(just don't fart too much in your drysuit)

Go to a popular dive site, or a dive resort, and you'll see all body types.

Very, VERY few people look as good in full scuba gear as the models in the adds do.

It's amazing what those ad agency types can do...

This woman...

insta_i830wb.jpg

Is actually THIS woman...

FatChick.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom