Lake Rawlings, Virginia incident 11-05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
Jdh, your profile says your training is "PADI RESORT DIVER." Do you feel you are qualified to post here? Gngrel

Needing qualifications to post on SB is like needing a qualification to masturbate. Who cares as long as you get off.

Don, you really don't have a clue.

! will most certainly give my input on the new thread, but off the top of my head, I would say the first thing I would have done differently is take a rescue class! If you already have a rescue card, then (as you like to tell so many other posters) sorry, but you don't mention that in your profile.

You see, in rescue class, they teach such things as not exceeding your limitations so as to not become the second victim and thus divide the resources of the rescuers, always searching in teams, coordinating a rescue, letting the best qualified rescuer lead the rescue....

You mentioned you were in a three diver team. Where was your other buddy when you decided to pull the cowboy routine and go back to 80 on a pony and 700 lbs of back gas? Did he even know you went back? Was he even less experienced than you? If you didn't come back from your rescue effort, would he have jumped in to go find both of you without telling anyone else? That's potentially 3 bodies at the bottom of a quarry.

Did you conduct any specific type of a search, or did you just go down to 80 and look around?

Just a few off the top of my head. Plenty more where that came from.

gangrel441:
Ok...so let me get this straight...you surfaced from an 80 ft dive. You couldn't find your buddy. You didn't get a response from anyone when you asked if he had been seen. So you decided to return to 80 ft on your pony and solo to try to find him???

So much for that rule about "avoid becomming the second victim".....

Maybe he was narced????

hey don...just to back up JDH a little bit...he has been certified by more agencies than you have....he is a good diver...and I WOULD dive with him....but I wouldn't dive with you.

lord1234:
hey don...just to back up JDH a little bit...he has been certified by more agencies than you have....he is a good diver...and I WOULD dive with him....but I wouldn't dive with you.

but but but.....he's only a PADI resort diver!!! :D

Hmmm....what's a GUE? what's a NSS-CDS? what's a IANTD? what's a TDI? :05:

lord1234:
Fine - you know him, I don't. I just looked at what he put on his Dive History. I guess he thought it was cute to say he was not certified. He listed no training at all on his info, claiming to be a Padi Resort Diver - haha.

Here is your link to my thread, so we can return this one to pre-hijack discussions. Thank you.

Attempt to spread a little oil on the water....

As I read Don's posts, he surfaced from a dive missing one of a team of three.

He attempted to get help from the bystanders and his remaining buddy, but no one was willing to get involved.

The one thing that I have a serious problem with is that he did not search the surface area properly, which would have resolved the whole problem, but that dosn't seem to bother anybody else.

So at this point having what he considered sufficent air to have time to make a brief search, and faced with no one else willing to help, he made an attempt to find the missing diver. It would be reasonalbe to assume at this point in time that the missing diver was down to less than 10 minutes of air, if we assume that his air consumption was aproximately the same as Don's. Meaning that there was probably a 5 to 10 minute window to find him.

For those who are taking shots at Don, and leaving aside the issue of not searching the surface properly, in the same situation, how would you have handled the situation?

Thanks for your rational post, but I guess we were posting at the same time...

DandyDon:
Here is your link to my thread, so we can return this one to pre-hijack discussions. Thank you.

jamiep3:
Attempt to spread a little oil on the water....

As I read Don's posts, he surfaced from a dive missing one of a team of three.

He attempted to get help from the bystanders and his remaining buddy, but no one was willing to get involved.

The one thing that I have a serious problem with is that he did not search the surface area properly, which would have resolved the whole problem, but that dosn't seem to bother anybody else.

So at this point having what he considered sufficent air to have time to make a brief search, and faced with no one else willing to help, he made an attempt to find the missing diver. It would be reasonalbe to assume at this point in time that the missing diver was down to less than 10 minutes of air, if we assume that his air consumption was aproximately the same as Don's. Meaning that there was probably a 5 to 10 minute window to find him.

For those who are taking shots at Don, and leaving aside the issue of not searching the surface properly, in the same situation, how would you have handled the situation?

Very true. I was taking his mention that he tried to get help but couldn't to mean that he did so, though a poor job. However, if you read the thread he started in Near Misses, what he seems to be saying there is that his surface search amounted to asking the remaining buddy if he saw the missing diver, and asking their bubble watcher on land if she saw him. She sent back a signal that was misunderstood.

Getting back to the search mission itself, though...there was an OW class going on at the surface. That means instructors. That means people more qualified to lead a search than the pony bottle wonder. Wouldn't you say?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom