Lake Rawlings, Virginia incident 11-05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never thought I would hear of Lake Rawlings again, Wow!!!

I used to be on the Dive Master at the lake every weekend around the summer of 1996 - 1997 time frame. I was in the Navy at the time, so I made the 2 hour drive there every weekend from the base. Good memories of the place and I met a ton of people. Didn't know if the place was still open for diving, glad to hear it is.

Very sorry to hear of the incident that took place, as a matter of fact I did my Stress Rescue Certification there at the lake also...:wink:

Steve

And I know this is several months old, but after reading through this thread...Don, I would have gone back down also to look for my buddy. People risk their own lives every day to save someone elses life. If I can't stick my neck out there for someone else who needs me, what kind of person am I and what good was all my training?

:wink:

lord1234:
hey don...just to back up JDH a little bit...he has been certified by more agencies than you have....he is a good diver...and I WOULD dive with him....but I wouldn't dive with you.

Big nuts from a guy with over 500 posts, and 16-50 dives. Your reason for personal attacks being? I will not comment on your skills, as it would serve no purpose, you should do the same. I also understand that you want to go DIR in your training, which is fine, if that's what you want to do. But be advised, the very reason that resentment exists towards DIR, is this attitude. Perhaps you should log a little more quality time in the water before carving up another diver. Trust me, you have, and will in the future, make plenty of errors while diving, I hope for your sake that no one is there to witness, and post them here.

I've got to chime in with DivMstr223 above about doing what Don did. The reality of the situation is that sometimes you just can't do everything by the book. He took a calculated risk to try and help what he thought was a diver in trouble, as many of us have done from time to time, and lived to dive another day.

I don't want to prolong any of this yammering back and forth on this thread, which should have been about the young lady at Rawlings. Does anybody know what her final outcome was?

I'd suggest that you Don-bashers start your own thread if you feel that it's necessary. Otherwise, let's look at the incident in question and not waste so much space bashing each other.

Safe ascents to all,
Grier

Thanks Fellows! I did open a thread on my incident for discussion and recreational bashing. It's a little old, but it's still available: "Buddy missing on surface - What would you have done?" here I'll post some more news on that thread, and interested parties can move any Don related posted there. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom