Lake Pleasant Conditions II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody got an update on lake conditions? The Dam dive is this weekend and I gotta figure out what to wear.
Any signifigant thermocline?
Been diving in a shorty and pretty happy with that, but if its starting to get cold I may change my mind.
Any vis? is it any better in open water ie: dam area or just as nasty everywhere ?

Thanks,
Jeff

Surface temp is 78 F and the water is rising, it's two feet above it's annual low (still about 24' lower than last year at this time).

Dove at Two Cow (or past Two Cow- maybe Burro Island?) Anyways, didn't go deeper than around 20 ft as we were doing some practice for the IE. Temps were 68 at depth and the vis was around -5 feet. It wasn't pretty. The lake was really low and the vis was the worst I'd seen in a while. As a side note, if anyone dives the same area, keep a look out for our dive flag. It's one of the 2'x3' (or so) size still attached the PVC pipe...

I have to agree with you Booth22, the very poor viz and the water level was very low yesterday at the lake. I was just north of 10 lane yesterday and I must say that had I not had the need to get wet yesterday due to trying out some new toys, I would have been disappointed over all. But hey we live in the desert what do we expect.

Wow, that's surprising. Usually this time of year, conditions are pretty good. I wonder what's up?

Kris, your dive flag is probably hanging out with my buoy that I lost there about a year ago. It's just a white gallon jug attached to a 10lb anchor. BTW, give me call sometime. I've been waiting to hear about your trip.

Wow, that's surprising. Usually this time of year, conditions are pretty good. I wonder what's up?
the water level is waaayyy low, down over 30' from last year, I've heard several different stories to explain this, 1) It's just because of demand, it hasn't cooled off yet consistently, we're using more H2O 2) Because they are building the ramp for the new marina 3) They kept it low because of a mussel infestation (not zebra) to try to kill off as many as possible.

Those are the stories I've heard, but whatever the reason, the lake is $hlT, besides the DAM dives or driving the DDII, I haven't been in 3 months! But may head out this weekend just to get wet, perhaps a night dive.

-Garrett

the water level is waaayyy low, down over 30' from last year, I've heard several different stories to explain this, 1) It's just because of demand, it hasn't cooled off yet consistently, we're using more H2O 2) Because they are building the ramp for the new marina 3) They kept it low because of a mussel infestation (not zebra) to try to kill off as many as possible.

Those are the stories I've heard, but whatever the reason, the lake is $hlT, besides the DAM dives or driving the DDII, I haven't been in 3 months! But may head out this weekend just to get wet, perhaps a night dive.

-Garrett

I'd guess it's the demand or the new marina. I have noticed that temps have still been in the 90s in AZ. They may want the Scorpion Bay area exposed for the construction. I haven't heard of mussels getting in Lake Pleasant. The one you're talking about it probably the Quagga Mussel, a close cousin to the Zebra. They were found in Mead and Mohave.

phatso-29:
Rob's mind is clouded with that gin clear water down there in those Florida Caves. Weekend night dive sounds good.

Hey, I was in a cave last weekend where the visibility was down to about 50'! It's not all gin clear! BTW, I'm doing a night dive tonight, too. But then again, all of my dives are pretty much night dives!

The Water is comming up ever so slowly... Here are the stats for 9-26-07
Waddell Data as of 09/26/2007 11:45:58 AM

Lake Pleasant Water Surface Elevation:
Lake Pleasant - % Full:
Lake Pleasant - Surface Area (acres):
Plant Pumping(+)/Releasing(-) Flow (cfs):
River Outlet Works Flow (cfs):
Lower Lake Elevation:

And here are the stats for 11-5-07

Waddell Data as of 11/05/2007 08:51:59 AM

Lake Pleasant Water Surface Elevation: 1646.54 Lake Pleasant - % Full: 45.19 Lake Pleasant - Surface Area (acres): 6377.63 Plant Pumping(+)/Releasing(-) Flow (cfs): 597.03 River Outlet Works Flow (cfs): 0.00 Lower Lake Elevation: 1437.68

So we are up 7ft or so...but way low compared to last year at this time!!!

Hello,
I am new to the area. Where is Vista Point and other fun places to dive in the area?

Victor

Back
Top Bottom