Lake Norfork

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speargirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi Guys and Gals
I know!!! What am I doing over here in your neck of the woods or should I say mountains:wink: Well I just wanted you to know that my brother Mike has joined the forum he is from Mountain Home AR. I thought you all would like to know that he also has a really nice place to stay and dive. He and his wife own a resort called 3 Oaks Resorts. People from all over the world come to dive the caves and "buildings from the 1800's" that are under the water, Sooooo Cooool
icon14.gif
Mike and his son Mike are new divers and are always looking for people who want to go diving. Check out his web site of what he has to offer. It's so beautiful. Mikes screen name is norforkdiver

Three Oaks Resort on Lake Norfork, near Mountain Home Arkansas

:lotsalove:
Becky

What are the bottom water temps in Jan and Feb? Can you give us some good places to eat around your resort. Where is the nearest place to fill your tanks and what is the cost, Is there a place if say people are flying in, that they could rent weights and tanks. How many people will your resort be able to house all at one time.
I ask this because here on SB we have events that have alot of people that come and need a place to rent.
Becky

Sorry folks, I've dove Norfolk many times and "awesome" would not be my description of the diving there. So so fits alot better. Viz maybe 10 ft above 30 ft. below that black and cold. Lots of boat and jet ski traffic and boaters pay no attention to dive flags. Nope, not a premier dive site by any means.

I gotta say that I just got my OW Cert. last weekend up at Norfork. I thought it was awesome!!! Now, I know I am just a newby and probably don't know what a really great place it yet but I gotta say it was awesome to me. Lots of knowledgable people around, and a bunch of dive sites.
As for the people that don't pay attention to dive flags, I can't attest to that since I didn't see but one boat that seemed to be pulling a wake boarder but I did see a LOT of divers and dive boats.
I just wish it was closer to home.
norforkdiver, I'll be sure to check out your site!

Micah

Everything is relative. Compared to Cozumel it wouldn’t be considered very awesome, but compared to the dank quarry I was in today, it’s fairly good. As far as boaters go, never count on a boat respecting your dive flag. In fact, expect it to draw boats and jet skis to your location.

Sorry folks, I've dove Norfolk many times and "awesome" would not be my description of the diving there. So so fits alot better. Viz maybe 10 ft above 30 ft. below that black and cold. Lots of boat and jet ski traffic and boaters pay no attention to dive flags. Nope, not a premier dive site by any means.

Well I have never dove Norfork myself, but I dive here in the Keys alot and I think I can speak for everyone here on the board when I say that boaters and all other water crafts don't pay any attention to a dive flags. Viz anywhere can be total ***** at times depends on the time of year and weather even here in the Keys. Speaking of viz I spoke to my Mom the other day and she said Rebecca you and the kids need to come up here the water is so pretty you can see all the way to the bottom, now mind you she has never been to Norfork either and this is her first time, no she is not a diver but she is my mom and if she says it's clear it's clear.
Enough Said...................
Becky

How cold is the water? Is it always cold?

How cold would you consider cold? A buddy I work with used to live in florida, him and his wife dove all the time there.

Ive never been to norfolk, but i'm sure the temps are close to where they are at Oronogo. Which i've seen anywhere from 80 on the surface, to 45 or so at 100ft.

When I did my open waters earlier this year, I would swear that the water was 45 or less at 30ft.. but i'm probably wrong.

Of course majority of my dives are in a 4.5 mm shorty.. so i'm pretty used to cold.

Well I have never dove Norfork myself, but I dive here in the Keys alot and I think I can speak for everyone here on the board when I say that boaters and all other water crafts don't pay any attention to a dive flags. Viz anywhere can be total ***** at times depends on the time of year and weather even here in the Keys. Speaking of viz I spoke to my Mom the other day and she said Rebecca you and the kids need to come up here the water is so pretty you can see all the way to the bottom, now mind you she has never been to Norfork either and this is her first time, no she is not a diver but she is my mom and if she says it's clear it's clear.
Enough Said...................
Becky

True, but then again, I'm just a diver who has dove there without bias and don't have a resort to promote either. If it was awesome, I'd tell you it's awesome. Clear vertical doesn't translate into viz horizontal. It's a beautiful lake but it's a so so dive site fine for land locked folks to get wet or training but not somewhere I'd recommend to fly into just for the diving. The area, lake and enviroment is beautiful and a nice weekend vacation. In July the water temps are in the 80's surface, 70's at the first thermocline, 53 down to the dark, dark 70 ft. Can't say below that as it just black and nothing to see below that. If you go during the week, the rock where people jump off near the swimming area can be profitable if there is no one jumping into the lake. Someone's always losing something like watches and rings. I can say, it's a little better than Heber and about the same as Ouchita.

Back
Top Bottom