Lake Norfork

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have pictures of your dives in Norfork. I would love to see them. I cannot promote a dive site that I have never been on, nor would I promote a resort unless I knew the people and knew how they ran it and what it has to offer. Myself I have a resort in Key Largo. Anyone who here on this fourm and many other forums that has met me or has stayed at Kawama's will tell you that I am up front and honest and I tell it like it is.
For the Resort at Norfork I can give a thumbs up because my brother and his wife and son would only run a tight ship. For the dives well that is something only you folks up there can atest to becuase I am spoiled I dive the tropical reefs and wrecks. But I would love to see the under water Church and structures up in Norfork.
For the bottom you say it gets black do you mean from it being so deep or the bottom is black
Has anyone ever been to the bottom with a light or seen the bottom what's down there?
Thanks
Becky

Becky, I didn't take a camera after the first trip. I didn't get any photos that were worth keeping. As I said, the area of the lake is absolutely beautiful. I had a light when I dove to 70 feet in a 3mm Farmer John....it's just dark, cold and black. The light doesn't help much. There are several attractions in the lake. A school bus, a bull dozer (but they keep moving it when class practices lift bags on it, so the folks at Jordan Marina have to point you in that direction. I strongly suggest you visit and there is a dive map online with the dive sites, or I can pm you one. Jordan marina has dive boats and air fills at the marina. If you are wanting to go below 30 feet, wear good thermal protection. I've seen good size bass and catfish around the school bus but it's in only about 28 feet of water with an approx. 10 ft. vis. Surface temp in June was 80, 73 at the bus. At 70', according to the last log, which was also in June...vis was 2 ft., and had to keep a light on my buddy and could barely make out his fins just ahead of me, temp was 52. I, too, prefer warm tropical waters with pretty fishes and coral reefs. I'm sure your family runs a first rate business and I'll check with them next year when we are carrying an open water class over for training. Again, the only remark that I made I can see as offensive was disagreeing with the adjective "awesome" and I wasn't intending on sounding argumentative. Ok would be my definition, but again, as it is close it's ok for me. I hope the business is a success for your brother.

I am from the midwest - and I have dove Beaver and Table Rock. Norfolk sounds a lot like the conditions I have found there. It is diving and here in the land of dirt we are lucky to have those lakes.

I will be getting in contact with you as our dive club is looking for a couple of local locations.

Becky

Hi Everyone,
Water conditions will vary as we all know, But we have enjoyed good visibilty on the days we dived. We spearfish and usually dive 20-45 ft deep. 70ft our deepest near cranfield Island. We recieved our certification from Scuba Doo Dive Shop In Mountain Home, Ar. The Owner Patton suggested we Make our Resort Diver friendly, as resorts on the lake do not cater to divers. The dive shop is 5 minutes from the resort and is full service for filling and equipment rental or repair. We have a trolley which carries the dive gear to our dock for easy diving. The resort lends itself well to the sport. The business has been here since 1949 with a long established record of success. We are well known as the Premeire destination on Lake Norfork.
We hope to build a lasting legacy in the diving community.
With Kindest Regards,
Mike

Here's a list of divesites from Jordan Marina website:
[SIZE=-2](1) The 1A Wrecks[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]200 ft. North of 1A sign, flat gravel bottom, contains several small boats and one pontoon boat deck, normal depth is 25 ft.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](2) Rickety Wreck[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Stepping stone type wall. Here sits a 28 ft wooden cruiser.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](3) School Bus[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]School bus attached to a steel barge. Once was unique houseboat.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](4) Cave Dive[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]This cave goes back 100 ft. into a large room, then narrows.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](5) Blankenship Point[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Bottom strewn with giant square stones that create alley-ways that draw every species of fish in the lake.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](6) Playground[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Junior divers of all ages can play on the equipment found here.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](7) Sunken Ridge[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Sudden rise of underwater mountain top is in 15 ft. of water. Great place to see large schools of bass.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](8)Farm Site[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]There is the foundation and cistern of three buildings located in 40 ft. of water. Hard to locate exactly, but can yield nice artifacts.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](9) Indian Island[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Was once an Indian campsite where arrow heads can still be found, ledges and overhangs hold lots of fish, favorite nite dive spot. Depths of 5 - 50 ft. [/SIZE][SIZE=-2](10) Moody Homesite[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Cistern and stone foundation of old farm house. Located in 30 ft.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](11) Slo-Poke Cruiser[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Wreck of a 30 ft. cruiser in 40 ft. water. Also a nice flat 15 ft. bottom of shale rock.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](12) Campground Bluff[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]One of the few shore dives. Good walls and steep slopes. Treasure hunting favorite.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](13) Bulldozer[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]In 25 ft. of water sits a 1939 Caterpillar used in lake construction.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](14) Rock of Gibraltar[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Stone slab rising from 50 ft. depth to just 15 ft. below surface. [/SIZE][SIZE=-2](15) Underwater Bluff[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]A wall starts at 35 ft. and can go straight down 70 - 150 ft.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](16) White Bluff & Arch[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Tall limestone bluffs contain natural arch big enough to swim through. Also some very clear water. Ledges at 15, 30, and 60 ft.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](17) Tool Truck[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Panel truck that went down in 1955, loaded with tools. Rests on ledge in 70 ft. depth out from a mark on shore.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](18) Fruit Cellar[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Concrete bunker-like structure built in the early 1900's. Also homesite artifacts in 15 ft.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](19) Fireplace[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Intact fireplace with chimney and foundation of large home. Out from center of island in 80 ft. depth.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](20) Gypsy Boat Wreck[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]24 ft. wood cabin cruiser sits on flat gravel bottom at 25 ft. Nearby an abrupt drop of 150 ft. Tall pinnacle rocks, view large fish here.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](21) Fish Market[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Flat shale rock point has a large area of flat bottom at 15 ft. depth with nearby slope to deeper water. Good concentration of fish found here.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](22) Walleye Wall[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Short run of rock bluff with a steep incline. Wall type dive. Home of the lake's walleye population.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](23) Bunch 'O Boulders[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Very large, rounded rock formations in 20 ft. depth with gravel bottom.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](24) Don's Dynamite Shack[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]This site once stored explosives during dam construction. There is an underground building made of railroad ties and covered with gravel. It has an air vent that looks like a dog house. Found in 40 ft. of water.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](25) Dam Corner[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]This is usually the clearest dive on the lake. Nice cut stone rocks, steps. Has parts of wooden light towers lying on the bottom.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](26) Devil's Backbone[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]This site has long, shallow reef-like point formations. It looks like the giant skeletal vertebrae of some ungodly creature. 20 ft. depth.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](27) Thumb Print Homesite[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]This site if in 60 ft depth out from mark on the shore. Very large foundation with inlaid intricate tile floor. Lots of artifacts.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](28) Hank's Bluff[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Long wall dive. Straight drops good for deep dives and exploration into the unknown.[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](29) Jerry's Place[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]A special collection of secrets.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][ Close ]
[/SIZE]

There seems to be a lot of exaggerations in dive sites. One of the most notable ones was the sunken city of Oasis at Table Rock. Dive Trainer magazine even reported that you could swim down main street and see the town church. Of course it’s entirely untrue.
I have issues with Dive site number 17 at Norfork, ( sunken tool truck). I’m not saying it isn’t there, I’ve seen pictures of it, but it wasn’t a ship, and it didn’t “go down” loaded with tools. It was placed there for a dive site, and it gets moved around from time to time either for fun or lift bag practice. Don’t expect to find any tools in it though.

Don Wary, Let me know the next time you are coming this way and we the conch's will get a dive going here in the Keys. We have such a great time out on the water and even when we get back we have been having BBQ's and sitting around talking about our dives under the tiki hut.
Becky

Sounds great Becky...I'll be in Miami Friday but will be boarding the Juliet Saturday....I'll give you a shout sometime soon though.

Back
Top Bottom