Lake Michigan diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone gone out with Loves Park Scuba? My big issue was always the cost of the trip. Seems like Murphy's Law always interviened just when I was able to go. Can these dives be done wet since I quit dry diving ?

I believe they use Jerry's boat. I've never been on it but I've seen it a few times. It's a big diesel boat with an indoor area that looks pretty nice, it's extremely SLOOOOW though.

I've been out with divers delight and had a great time. There boat does about 60 knots and the crew is awesome. VERY laid back/let you do your own thing attitude and they usually throw a DM in the water at the mooring line with a pony bottle if that's your thing.

I believe they use Jerry's boat. I've never been on it but I've seen it a few times. It's a big diesel boat with an indoor area that looks pretty nice, it's extremely SLOOOOW though.

I've been out with divers delight and had a great time. There boat does about 60 knots and the crew is awesome. VERY laid back/let you do your own thing attitude and they usually throw a DM in the water at the mooring line with a pony bottle if that's your thing.

60 knots? That sounds a little fast for a dive boat. Cigarette boats typically max out around 80kts.

Jerry's boat is pretty nice to dive off. If you're diving the Willie, or the Dredge, most of your time is spent at idle speed clearing the breakwater anyway. If you're heading to the Milwaukee, it's a bit of a haul, but not as bad as a trip to the Wisconsin on Dale's boat.

Jitka rents a slip from Jerry, so if you're doing one of her Milwaukee charters, you leave from Jerry's dock. Jerry's boat is a steel salvage boat. It's a decent size, with an enclosed helm that's nice and warm, and a decent amount of room below decks for stowing gear. You can also ride on the bow once underway, which is nice on nice days. The boat is a workboat though, so don't look for pretty. The ladder is very good. The swim step is also nice and large. There aren't any benches for tanks though, so they need to get bungied to the gunwales. So to put doubles on, you basically need to be sitting on the deck. For single tanks, the crew will set them on the gunwale, and you can slip into it while you're on the swim step.

Tom

I have been out on Jerry's boat as well (with Tom actually) and I must say that Jerry is very knowledgeable and I had a great time on his boat. I would not hesitate to go out with him again... The boat is a little on the slow side, but like Tom said you spend so much time clearing the breakwater and that is not going to change no matter what boat you are on.

Phil

Have you ever seen the diver's delight boat? I'm almost positive last time I was on it Ralph said he can get up to 50-60 knots depending on how flat the water is. It's fast enough to tie up to the mooring at the dredge as jerry's boat is leaving, gear up and do a 45 min dive, get back on board and pass Jerry about half way back to the dock. :) I'm sure Jerry also runs a great op, this is just another option. Divers delight will go out during the winter with enough interest also, when I called Jerry he said his boat is out of the water for the winter.

Diver's Delight website with photos of boat

http://www.diversdelightcharter.com/

That looks like a cigarette boat. I'm sorry for doubting you...

Tom

50-60 knots? That's 60 - 72 MPH. On a glass lake the double D can do about 60 IF the engines are running right. All BS aside the Divers delight is the fastest dive boat on the water. It is a no frills operation and is reasonably priced. Because Ralph trailers the boat he can go most anywhere. He mostly works from Kenosha up to Sheboygan. Labor Day weekend you'll find him in Munising Michigan. If you or your dive club has the coin he will take you where you want. Hold on for dear life and secure your gear and you'll have a good time. People who take two hours to set up need not apply. This is for divers!

50-60 knots? That's 60 - 72 MPH. On a glass lake the double D can do about 60 IF the engines are running right. All BS aside the Divers delight is the fastest dive boat on the water. It is a no frills operation and is reasonably priced. Because Ralph trailers the boat he can go most anywhere. He mostly works from Kenosha up to Sheboygan. Labor Day weekend you'll find him in Munising Michigan. If you or your dive club has the coin he will take you where you want. Hold on for dear life and secure your gear and you'll have a good time. People who take two hours to set up need not apply. This is for divers!

You aren't kidding, I had the good fortune of experiencing a flat lake and the ride back damn near ripped my face off :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom