Lake Lure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abaco:
You might want to try Lake James. There were houses, barns and such back when the power company flooded it. I think that was during the 30's or 40's.
I know several of the local instructors do checkout dives there, plus it might be closer for you.
Abaco...

Sounds interesting. I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip.

I guess I'm just always looking for new and different dive sites. In FL it's been caverns, wrecks, reefs, pier cleanups. In NC it's been quarries and, this season, historical wrecks. I even liked diving Lake Norman as part of our local club's work with Raft Up, a charity even where several hundred boats tie up and try to break the Guiness record. (The Charlotte Hammerheads help them find their permanent mooring lines. ~40 ft depths, <2 ft viz, warm water. A great time, despite challenging conditions.) Lakes with manmade structures are pretty interesting to me...

-G

fishguts:
The locals call it Lake Sewer, instead of Lake Lure, is vis is pitiful, and you have to get a special permit from the town to dive. I heard it is like a $50 permit. You can not have a boat on the lake without a special permit too. Very deep and cold lake. I will try to find some more info. I live 30 mins away.

Thanks in advance. It's funny - I've heard mixed reviews about that lake, but they all agree about the cold and poor viz aspects. On the lighter side (no pun intended), there's a small general store on the road between the lake and Chimney Rock that has a little "dive shop" in the corner. Very old masks, regs, knives, etc. I seem to remember seeing a double-hose regulator (Aqualung) there a couple of years ago. No info on diving, and I'm sure they don't sell much, if any, dive equipment. Still, it was an interesting, random find during a road trip.

-G

Lake James is so cold that many of the fish species that inhabit the lake are unusual for the south - - i.e. Northern Pike

Lake Adger in Polk County is home to Musky and Wallye. Lake Lure does have a Trout population, but you have to troll deep for them.

I have not dove Lake Lure, but I have been in Jordan and Mayo. I did several SAR dives in Jordan for hunters and fishermen who have lost items overboard. The vis in Jordan is about 1-2' on a good day. The water is the color of tea and I only found the items because they marked the spot and I have a UW metal detector. My father and I drove all over Jordan before it was filled and I dont recall any buildings that were intact. Just stumps!!

Mayo on the other hand has great vis for a lake. I have had 30' in the winter and it is better up towards the dam. Summer is 10-20'. I dove it for the same reasons, money!There are tobacco barns and other buildings there, but I personally would not go into them as they may callapse on you. You could pick up a map locally at a bait shop that will show bottom features and buildings. As a side note, there are some very big game fish, bass, crappie, sunfish and catfish. I would say this is your best bet for a lake and nobody dives it that I know of.
Hope this helps.
Mike

Thanks for the info. I've never been to Lake Mayo. Maybe we can get some divers to go out and do some exploration of a virgin body of water.

I agree with your comment about penetration of the old buildings. I've heard some horror stories about building explorations.

Thanks again,
Grier

This sounds like an adventure in the making. I would love to tag along for something like this. Maybe we should bring it up for one of the wreckmaniacs adventure logs.

IF only we could figure out a way to strap all of aur gear to our motorcycles to make the adventure complete. :)

Mrs.Prages:
This sounds like an adventure in the making. I would love to tag along for something like this. Maybe we should bring it up for one of the wreckmaniacs adventure logs.

IF only we could figure out a way to strap all of aur gear to our motorcycles to make the adventure complete. :)

They have motorcycle trailers for people like you.

That would be way too responsible for me. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom