Lake Lure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrierHPharmD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anybody here ever dived Lake Lure? I was there last summer while dropping my kids at summer camp, and the marina operator said that divers sometimes go down near the dam. Apparently there are some building remains there. The thread on the locomotive reminded me that I'd never followed up on this.

Anybody know anyone who's dived there?

Grier, did they tell you what the water temps were there?

LBD
also known in many places simply as Bluedolphin (the female one)

GrierHPharmD:
Has anybody here ever dived Lake Lure? I was there last summer while dropping my kids at summer camp, and the marina operator said that divers sometimes go down near the dam. Apparently there are some building remains there. The thread on the locomotive reminded me that I'd never followed up on this.

Anybody know anyone who's dived there?

I live near and work in the Lake Lure area...I have heard of people diving in the lake, but don't know anyone personally. I will ask some of the locals. I will say the lake is pretty cold when you get below the surface. I know this only from diving in from a boat.

Patfisha

If the lake is used for drinking water, there probably isn't anything too intact to look at. I've also been on a quest to find an underwater town but have had no luck. Most of the time when lakes were made where villages stood they burned down most of the structures. If anything remains it's going to be things like foundations, stoves, and chimenies (sp sorry)

Lake Lure Update~

Still researching, but here is what I have discovered so far. There is indeed a small village under the water. Most notable is a church, also barns, etc. I am still searching for locals who know people who have actually been diving in the lake. So far, only divers looking for a dead body several years ago...they found it.

I asked at my local dive shop in Asheville...Don said the vis is terrible, although he has not actually been diving there. I have put out feelers for more info.

Patfisha

If you want to dive on remains of buildings, Dale Hollow Lake in Kentucky has a old town you can dive the remains of. Marthas Quarry outside Nashville also has buildings left over from the rock crusher operation that you can dive and swim through. I know this isn't Lake Lure, but does contain building if that's what you're looking for.

Dale Hollow had a dive shop at the marina there and Marthas Quarry is operated during the summer time by someone. (www.marthasquarry.com). You can find the Dale Hollow dive shop easily with google.

-mike

I don't know why I find the idea of diving on an abandoned town so interesting, but I do. I also seem to remember that people used to dive Jordan Lake, near Raleigh. Specifically, there were barns, a group of abandoned cars, etc. I used to know a guy in Chapel Hill that dove Jordan, but we've long since lost touch.

You might want to try Lake James. There were houses, barns and such back when the power company flooded it. I think that was during the 30's or 40's.
I know several of the local instructors do checkout dives there, plus it might be closer for you.
Abaco...

The locals call it Lake Sewer, instead of Lake Lure, is vis is pitiful, and you have to get a special permit from the town to dive. I heard it is like a $50 permit. You can not have a boat on the lake without a special permit too. Very deep and cold lake. I will try to find some more info. I live 30 mins away.

Back
Top Bottom