Lake Lewisville, another reason not to dive here...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Monday morning people were calling to ask the Texas Parks and Wildlife game warden captain just how a 10-foot alligator ended floating belly-up tied to a tree stump in the middle of a Lewisville Lake cove. Especially large, 400-pounders 10 foot long. Yep, meet up with this while underwater and you have a whole new meaning to panic diver.

This gator had washed up on to someone property and they called the Warden to remove the carcass. Thye are investigating how it ended up tied to a tree in the middle of the cove. The officers that picked it up where told to dispose of the animal in a secluded place and to let it naturaly decompose. I wonder how a 400lb animal got tied to a tree?

Maybe the gator came over from N'Awlins or somewhere after the hurricane and got mugged?

Unusual for here, would like to hear more about this.

From the Star Telegrm,

"John Davis, an urban wildlife biologist in Cedar Hill said that local sightings are infrequent but that most come from Lewisville Lakeand Lake Worth. There was also a sighting last year in Grand Prairie near a tributary of the Trinity River.

Davis advises people to give an alligator the same respect and distance they would any wild animal. Most importantly, Davis said, people shouldn’t feed alligators. It’s against the law and causes the reptiles to associate people with food.

Alligators have been found in 120 of Texas’s 254 counties. Their habitat basically extends from Interstate 35 eastward across the state.

Fort Worth is on the western edge of that habitat, and the local alligator population is believed to be fairly small.

Texas Parks and Wildlife has no statewide population estimate for alligators but they believe there are 250,000 in Chambers, Jefferson and Orange counties, which are believed to have the highest number in the state.

The biggest headaches occur around Houston, in Harris and Fort Bend counties, where developers are draining marshes and building ponds next to subdivisions. Those ponds soon become home to alligators whose habitat has been destroyed.

And when residents move in, they’re shocked to learn they have gators for neighbors.

“At some point, we’re going to have to learn to live with them — their habitat is shrinking,” Cooper said. “In some places, we’re going to see the population annihilated.” "

Makes me sick that this animal may have been killed.

I guess The gator got what was coming to him....

This reminds me of a newspaper story back in the 70's.

They pulled a dude up out of the river... gaged, hog tied and wrapped in over 200 lbs of log chains with a engine block pad locked to him.

The country boy Sheriff at the site was quoted as saying....

It looks to me like that old boy was swimmin' the river with more then he could carry. :D

i have lived on this lake sence 89 and its allways a pet that someone had and let go

I grew up in Lewisville. Back in 1991, my buddie's neighbor yanked a pirhana out of hickory creek.

I think I'll stick to bass fishing on Lake Lewisville, not diving in it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom