How many here were scared to death and still completed OW classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to know. I wish I was a cold water diver. I get too chilled, too quickly, and it's just no fun for me. Diving cold water would open up a world of possibilities for me, but I just can talk myself into it. So I get to look at the cool pics and hear the wonderful stories from those who do those chilly dives. :)

Dry suits can make cold water diving very warm.... :D

Dry suits can make cold water diving very warm.... :D
Except your head when you jump in. And the part of your face not covered by the hood or the mask. And your hands, unless you're willing to hassle with drygloves. And even then...

Except your head when you jump in. And the part of your face not covered by the hood or the mask. And your hands, unless you're willing to hassle with drygloves. And even then...

or your feet if you're unwilling to hassle with boots... or your body if you're not willing to hassle with a drysuit...

I'm pretty sure the point that "drysuits can keep you much warmer than a wetsuit and might be an option if @Kimela wanted to try them out so they could dive in colder water" still stands as a reasonable suggestion. My head and hands never got cold diving in a drysuit in water temps in the low 40's (F), and I can't recall more than a brief bit of being uncomfortable on my face when first getting in (that is quickly forgotten in my experience).

My head and hands never got cold diving in a drysuit in water temps in the low 40's (F), and I can't recall more than a brief bit of being uncomfortable on my face when first getting in (that is quickly forgotten in my experience).
I dive dry all 12 months of the year. The coldest water I've dived was 3C surface, 4C bottom. I always get a brain freeze when I jump in and before the water in my hood heats up, and before I got my drygloves my run time was limited by my hands (and feet) getting cold. If it's less than eight degrees (C), I look like the Joker when I kit down since the part of my face not covered by my mask or my hood is pretty chilled.

It's still worth it, though. Cold water diving is just as amazing as warm water diving (IME much more spectacular bottom life, and then there's the cool green colors of the background), and the late fall/winter/early spring season has the best vis.

now when I got a new drysuit which is not leaking at all it is not a problem to dive even in very cold water. The main problem is actually not being in the water and getting cold but the fact that everything freezes when you come out of the water. In very cold water one will want to have at least dry gloves, pretty thick hood if using a wet hood ( I have the Waterproof 10mm hood which is very suitable for that for example) and it may be usable to have the lip protector thingy for your main regulator so that your lips don't freeze so quickly.

with wet gloves your fingertips will absolutely freeze at some point no matter how thick the gloves are so the dry gloves are the first investment one needs to make after drysuit I think. Wet hoods are completely OK as long as they are thick and the fit is good...

and as others said visibility can be wonderful in cold season

The main problem is actually not being in the water and getting cold but the fact that everything freezes when you come out of the water.
Which is why I don't appreciate going diving if the topside temperature is close to or below -10C. It just becomes too much of a drag to kit down. Notwithstanding the issue of not being able to pre-breathe your reg because it's going to freeflow if you do. A post-dive 2nd stage freeflow is par for the course and nothing more than a minor annoyance, but I prefer to avoid pre-dive freeflows.

and as others said visibility can be wonderful in cold season

Maybe you should say that a little louder. I think the water over here doesn’t know it yet :) last weeks its like 1meter vis at best.

or your feet if you're unwilling to hassle with boots... or your body if you're not willing to hassle with a drysuit...

I'm pretty sure the point that "drysuits can keep you much warmer than a wetsuit and might be an option if @Kimela wanted to try them out so they could dive in colder water" still stands as a reasonable suggestion. My head and hands never got cold diving in a drysuit in water temps in the low 40's (F), and I can't recall more than a brief bit of being uncomfortable on my face when first getting in (that is quickly forgotten in my experience).

I was drysuit certified when I was initially OW certified. Even with a drysuit I'm not a fan of the cold water. When the cold water hits my face I internally wither and say "just ... no". That cold water is for folks made of sterner stuff. :)

Back
Top Bottom