Ladies of SB - HELP on wife's equipment!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of it depends on what size and shape your wife is. If she is a standard size, it won't be too difficult to get her a BC that fits well and holds the tank stable on her back. If she is very small, it may be quite hard to do, and sloppy gear that allows the tank to slew around makes learning to dive very challenging.

Like Spectrum's wife, the first time I dove a BP/W setup, I was completely hooked. I'm on the small side (5'4", 120) and my first BC just didn't fit well. The infinitely adjustable harness was the key.

I love my Henderson Hyperstretch wetsuit. Putting on a regular suit caused me to struggle and have hot flashes--whew-- glad those days are over.

Depending on water temps, you might want to get your wife a hood or a beanie. Women get cold faster in many cases. So the warmer she is the more she will enjoy the dive. It is amazing how much a hood or beanie can keep you warm.

And like the ladies above, once I got into a bp/w there was no turning back! I loaned my bp/w to my dive buddy and she refused to dive again until her own bp/w came. Trying was believing for her. The other bc's just didn't fit my shape and shifted a lot on me.

Thanks to all for the response and the great input!! This is exactly what I wanted to find out!!

We will get her to the LDS to try stuff on for sure before we purchase any thing but I wanted to get some female opinions on things to kind of narrow the search. The wife is about 5'-6", ~150(& dropping fast!) and standard size. Just for the records I'm updating all of my gear (mine has been in storage too long and is too old to trust any more) and will be going Scubapro regs & Nighthawk BP/W, split fins and Henderson 5mm so that is where I though we might start our search. Don't want to go mail order without her trying things out first. We will be joining our local club as well so that might be an avenue for trying some different gear as well (thanks for that tip!).

Ya’ll are the greatest!!!!

BP

The wife is about 5'-6", ~150(& dropping fast!) and standard size.

If she's "dropping fast" you might consider a Zeagle BC. I'm checking one out for myself in the pool tonight. They're modular, so if she gets thinner, she can order a new smaller waist panel to swap out. This way she can have different torso and waist sizes (which is what I need). If she continues to lose weight she won't need to get an entirely new bc.

I have a 2-piece Henderson wet suit (the thermoprene variety), which is not as stretchy as the hyperstretch, but is still vastly more strectchy than regular neoprene. Very easy to don and doff. I also have a hyperstretch hooded vest that I absolutely adore!

Cheers,
P-Cod

I have a Ladyhawk and love love love it!!! I tried several different ones and that one felt and fit the best. I also have a Henderson Hyperstretch. I think the Hyperstretch a great fit for a woman's body curves. I have the Scubapro 650 reg and have never had any problems with it. Just be sure she tries everything on and see what works best for her.

I agree that there is no substitute for trying out different equipment. That being said, my wife decided on the Oceanic Hera BC. It is more comfortable for her because of the way it is cut and also has quite a bit of adjustment to it. She is also fond of the Henderson's hyperstretch wetsuits.

Ken

I have a ScubaPro Lady Hawk BC and I love it, too! I shopped around a bit before I bought it, and it seems to be the most favored BC. I also have a ScubaPro reg. It isn't the highest end they have, but it works and I have had no problems...

Good luck!

Hey Butch,
How in the world did you sneak on here and not let me know? :shocked2:
If you and your BETTER half want to try a BCD and haven't made any decisions on a BP/W yet, she's welcome to try out my Aeris BC and if y'all hit the pool when I ain't soaking my gear she is also welcome to try my DSS BP/W. Let me know when you may be hitting the pools.:coffee:

Hey Butch,
How in the world did you sneak on here and not let me know? :shocked2:
If you and your BETTER half want to try a BCD and haven't made any decisions on a BP/W yet, she's welcome to try out my Aeris BC and if y'all hit the pool when I ain't soaking my gear she is also welcome to try my DSS BP/W. Let me know when you may be hitting the pools.:coffee:

Not that is the best advice and help of the whole thread. Gear looks and feels so different when it is dry verses in the water. Even if you reject the gear Irishsquid lets you try, there will be things about both of them that she likes and dislikes and that is great information to have going forward.

If I were betting on this thread, I would be willing to say that once she gets in that DSS rig, irishsquid may have to call the police as she might be unwilling to give it back!

Back
Top Bottom