Ladies: Modesty during diving or technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit - that's the key!!! I cannot remember all of the times that I've squated over the side, front, back of the boat and no one ever noticed. The only time I was caught was when I didn't realize that someone was still in the cabin of the boat that was tied up next to us. I said "hi", he said "hi" and that was the end of the conversation....

Up until recently I had been fortunate in that I occasionally dived with a young female minister of religion. During the changing out of gear. I commented that a 5 second baring of the bum should be acceptable amongst divers when changing. She agreed. although in my opinion anything longer than 5 seconds could be considered showmanship or "Flashing" as we call it in oz. I think we have to appreciate the situation we are in at a lot of dive sites, with no change facilities. Lets face it we are subjected to a fair bit of near or nudity almost everywhere we look. .
I have a saying for divers distracted during gearing up time. "Get you mind in the water".

I don't want a group member or buddy thinking about anything else but the dive.

just my two cents worth

ploppytheslopper
in the land of oz

Live long and dive well

Here in Oklahoma everyone tends to wear swimsuits under there wetsuits, so nudity normally isn's an issue. I tend to me the only female in the group and hear a few "off color" jokes, but I'm not going to change for anyone and I wouldn't want them to change just because I was around! :)

My 2010 dive trip was to Saba.
Spent the week diving with a group from Europe (male & female)
Mostly DI's on holiday - just enjoying diving!
Let's just say that modesty is not in the European vocabulary!
The first day is interesting - after a week no one even notices!

My 2010 dive trip was to Saba.
Spent the week diving with a group from Europe (male & female)
Mostly DI's on holiday - just enjoying diving!
Let's just say that modesty is not in the European vocabulary!
The first day is interesting - after a week no one even notices!

True. I am taking a trip with a Spanish dive club. I don't care if they are buck naked. But I am VERY modest, and I am rooming with a guy for the liveaboard portion. That part I am not worried about, he is a friend and we have already talked about it.

I have found that sarongs are fantastic for all manner of deck changes. I was recently out on Cape Lookout for the day on a friend's boat. I wore regular undergarments and clothes for reasons I won't describe (let's just say we were expecting a very bumpy ride out), and with the sarong, was able to go from full clothes to swimsuit without embarrassing myself. I use them on dive boats now too.

Interesting concept. Unless diving VERY cold waters, I will wear a t-shirt & bike shorts under my undergarment. I could probably go down to skivvies if I had to without dying of embarrassment. If others are changing around me, I simply respectfully turn my head.

So in light of my recent trip to the tropics - I've changed my mind a bit. Undergarments that cover as much as a bathing suit are certainly nothing to be shy about. Gearing up, nobody cared - but that might be situation dependant.

So in light of my recent trip to the tropics - I've changed my mind a bit. Undergarments that cover as much as a bathing suit are certainly nothing to be shy about. Gearing up, nobody cared - but that might be situation dependant.

Unless those undergarments are see through I supposed. It is kind of hard to figure out how to work it all out when you are in tight quarters, wet, etc.

But sometimes I think this is mostly an American concern. I was in Italy once, it was unseasonably warm, and we were at the coast. I am not someone who can just walk in a store and find a suit. My hostess went into my bag, pulled out a pair of black undies and a black cami, and said "here is your suit." At first I felt very odd, I was wearing my underwear. Then I looked around and realized that I had way more covered than anyone else. Silly me.

This thread reminds me of an amusing comment I once overheard a male instructor say to his two female students.

"Now ladies, it may be that while trying to help you with your gear I may accidentally touch something that I shouldn't, in which case I apologise. But if I hold on to it, feel free to slap me."

But the whole modesty thing is predominantly cultural. If you dive in French Polynesia, it seems that the only times some of the ladies put anything on is when they don the wetsuits for the dive. But I don't expect that the same is true of the Red Sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom