Ladies: Modesty during diving or technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, the p-valve has solved the one thing I DID have issues with, which was hanging my bare butt off the side of a small boat full of guys.

I will tell you, though, that the p-valve is one piece of equipment you DON'T want to have fail on you 70 minutes from the cave exit . . . the choices at that point just aren't fun, either of them.

As far as modesty... most guys are respectful enough not to stare, and I am quick peeing/changing. Guys only get embarrassed looking at our bodies when we are nursing a baby... I agree with the post about the conversation. I am the "barbie" type (moderate-maintenance) with a underlying stripe of major tomboy. They do change the way they talk around me until they get to know me.

I'm not modest. I just get done what I have too. Look or not I don't care.

P-valve has helped a lot!

I've thought about it, but not totally convinced about them.

I usually go just before gearing up & am usually good for 4- 6hrs. I do wear diapers though,.... just in case.

I'll tell you, I love my she-P. I love not having to strip down and expose my bare butt to the wind on our boat. I love never having to haul dive gear up a slope or a stairway with my bladder full. I love doing 140 minute cave dives without worrying about whether I should stop drinking water some point before we go in. I don't love the few times I've had leaks, but I can live with them for the otherwise overall convenience.

So far, I've resisted the whole "she-pee" thing, as well as wearing diapers during long dives. After 5 years of working as a medic, my bladder capacity is to be envied :wink:

One thing I did devise (after a weekend trip on the Mil Pond and having to pee off the side of a boat) was a cool post-dive pee funnel. I took an oil funnel, some clear plastic tubing, and a hose clamp, and made this awesome funnel so I could pee off the side of the boat without having to strip down and awkwardly hang my poor bare bottom off the boat. It's awesome!

Of course, I think I teased the guys that weekend about my plastic "equipment" LOL

My modesty has kinda gone out the window to a point...my main dive buddies couldn't care less what my gender is...and when I'm freezing cold after a drysuit flood, and I need to change, I couldn't care less, either.

I've thought about it, but not totally convinced about them.

Seriously, it's awesome having a p-valve. If you're going 4-6 hours without peeing you're probably not hydrated enough imho...? I highly recommend a she-p anyway :)

I am not very modest and I love dirty jokes and stories so I haven't found any problems with the fact that nearly all of my buddies are male. So pretty much I haven't changed my behaviour at all with men at least. I do find I have to tone down the dirty jokes around some of the female buddies I've had though...

Modesty, 6-8 divers and a 25' boat are hard to combine. Modesty and any number of divers and a RIB are mutualy exclusive. But in my 30+ years of diving, even on the NY/NJ animal boats of the 80's, a quick request to turn your back was always respected. And any woman divers on the boats, who were not crew, would bring the animalism down a few notches.

At least none of you have the old Poseidon Uni-Suits that had a long zipper from your upper back, around your crotch and up to your waist in front, with those suits you have to ask for help and someone gets to put their face into either your butt or crotch to pull the zipper around your crotch.

Seriously, it's awesome having a p-valve. If you're going 4-6 hours without peeing you're probably not hydrated enough imho...? I highly recommend a she-p anyway :)

I am actually much better hydrated anymore than I used to be, after a nasty round of kidney stone problems last year (don't want that again). I used to be able to hold for 8- 12hrs easily, for as long as I can remember, not that I would ever recommend that to anyone. It was just the way it was. I now drink much more water than I used to. My big thing was I was hooked on sodas & the caffeine (3- 6 a day). In Feb. I quit cold turkey. After the week of withdrawals (wasn't a very nice person), I haven't had one in 3 mos. now. I primarily now drink water (sometimes with a lemon aid mix), milk & juice.

My big thing was I was hooked on sodas & the caffeine (3- 6 a day). In Feb. I quit cold turkey. After the week of withdrawals (wasn't a very nice person), I haven't had one in 3 mos. now. I primarily now drink water (sometimes with a lemon aid mix), milk & juice.

Nice work! Well done to give them up :)

I'll tell you, I love my she-P. I love not having to strip down and expose my bare butt to the wind on our boat. I love never having to haul dive gear up a slope or a stairway with my bladder full. I love doing 140 minute cave dives without worrying about whether I should stop drinking water some point before we go in. I don't love the few times I've had leaks, but I can live with them for the otherwise overall convenience.

Wow, the few times you've had leaks???

I'm batting 100% on leaks (or entire failures). I want to like my she-p and p-valve, but so far I'm really not a big fan. The boat this weekend doesn't have a head, so I'm really hoping for only minor failures...

Back
Top Bottom