Ladies, if you were about to be proposed to.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every girl wants a great proposal story to tell her friends and family. A story that everyone will ooh and ahh over. I think what you have planned will be just perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks very much for all the ideas and to speak to the hearing of the proposal I think you're right. So here's what I'm going to do.... slate and mouth the words underwater, and during dinner ask her formally so she can hear me.

In terms of risk there's no way she'll say no, she actually keeps telling me she wants to be married and I keep telling her no because of taxes :rofl3: The best part is that when we argue about it in my head I'm thinking how pointless is this, she's already getting what she wants.

I do like the clamshell idea but I don't trust myself and the ring is pretty expensive. I'm also wondering about what else I could do on the boat?

Thanks again for all the responses, I'll be checking back more

Be sure to post some pictures.

I assume full face masks with communications capabilities are not available?

Although many will not believe it, I'm a sucker for romance and wish you a wonderful engagement ceremony. The right girl... er, woman... for me would love this kind of approach. If only I could find her!

I think this is fantastic (and I'm a woman at least, if not a lady)! I'd do the proposal just as you have it planned, slate and all. Then, during your catered dinner, arrange to have the ring brought to the table in some fancy arrangement of some kind, whether food or flowers. (My husband put mine in the center of a pretty wooden tray of sliced fruit, and brought it to me in the hot tub.)

Good luck with this! (And don't lose this romantic streak over time . . . )

I do like the clamshell idea but I don't trust myself and the ring is pretty expensive. I'm also wondering about what else I could do on the boat?

Thanks again for all the responses, I'll be checking back more

What about some champaign and strawberries? Or choc dipped strawberries. Could keep them in a cooler before you get to them

Every girl wants a great proposal story to tell her friends and family. A story that everyone will ooh and ahh over. I think what you have planned will be just perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.

Speak for yourself. :wink: I could not imagine anything worse than being proposed to at all! Ok ok, actually maybe a wedding would be worse... Luckily my partner agrees. :p But I do have other female friends with differing opinions and the general consensus is that they would not want something too overboard as it would put too much pressure on them to say yes (though that is not relevant to you :)) and end up being tacky but they want something a bit unique. (Someone I know had her boyfriend fly her to a deserted island and propose there and whilst it was romantic, it does put a lot of pressure on someone to say yes!) I think it is a good idea to not use the real ring underwater as it could be lost, maybe you could bring it on the boat so that when you both ascend she has another thing to look forward too :)

I think what you have planned is a great idea and very sweet. Good that you are having pictures taken as well :) Don't think you are missing anything personally but then proposals are not my thing at all so fair warning my advice might be dodge! I hope it goes really well for you :)

Last edited:
Instead of writing out "Will you marry me" on a slate... how about investing a little time and learning out to "say" it in sign language? But in all, you have a beautiful plan. good luck

But that would require his future partner to be able to understand sign language. If she didn't, she might think he was giving her SCUBA hand signals that she didn't know and she might get confused!

Back
Top Bottom