LA county diving and training methods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Sam. I was thinking of H.A. Fleuss' rebreather in 1878. I have either forgotten or wasn't aware of the 'Aerophore.'

Radinator:

I always am up very early, check & respond to Emails, read on line news, and jump to Scuba board for my humor of the day..today was no exception.

Except today I reviewed our exchanges on this thread...

I seriously question if they were comprehended by the masses? There is so much avaliable to the divers of Ventura, LA, Orange and SD counties that is not being tapped. This area is the fountain head of recreational diving not for this board, not for the US but for the world and those who were privey to it becoming the fountain head are slowly, like a sunset, fading away...

LA Co offeres so much and demands very little.
It was the very first to offer classes in 1954 and the model for all the alphabet organizations to follow..

It was the first to present an ADP in 1967. And what an ADP it is! It has never been equalled in quality of the diver it produces. And what a bargin=$450.00! You are a product of that program and your responses demonstrate the education your received.

The famed UICC is another story.. Many would like to be, many try to become but only a few can pass the requirements of the course-It is and proudly so "the most difficult demanding civilian diving course in the world."

So much quality diving is offered in SoCal, but like Antie Mame stated "Life is a banquet and most poor *******s are starving."

And they are!

sdm

The following are Robertarak's comments on the three Rs

Thought I would do a quick little write up on the 3 R's class.
There is a reason the LA County program is the best. This class was an example of some of those reasons.

I start the morning lost. There could have been some better directions offered on the website...having never been there before, of course I had a hard time finding the place. Even if it just said, "meet in the parking lot" I would have looked for a parking lot. Anyway, there is a group there when I show up and a nice lady doing sign-ups. To be honest I wasn't expecting too much for my 5 bux (OK, I spent $15 and joined GLACD), but there was a good size group. I later came to find out the the LA County ADP folks were taking part in the class that day. We get started right on time and get some pretty good information about tides, pressure systems, forcasting, sources of information and the like. Then LA County Lifeguards show up in their yellow truck to give a short talk about Pt. Dume. I thought that was great, but then the Lifeguard goes on to tell us that Baywatch (the LA County ocean rescue boat) will have us board from the water after we do our entry training and take us over to a a little cove (the stairs) to do some free diving and more drills. WOW! That shoulded like a lot for 5 bux! It was!

We did shore entries, cramp removal drills, diver tow drills, delt with current, did free diving.....then Baywatch comes for us! It was very cool. We made our way to the boat, loaded up as we were directed and off we went around the point. Then one by one giant stride off the boat for some fun and more free diving. Now at this point I was feeling less then perfect. I spend too much time floating on the surface and it's dizzy time..I spent too much time floating on the surface..so I didn't do alot of free dives, but enough to work on some skills. The whole time the lifeguards (3 of them) on Baywatch were keeping their eyes on us. We eventually loaded back up on the boat, and back to where we started. Again, one giant stride off Baywatch, a big "OK" and "thank you" to the lifeguards. Hey what's that up in the sky? Nope, not Superman, an LA County helicopter! It came by, did some orbits, hovered over Baywatch, kinda cool. Another HUGE plus for the LA County program, they have resources! Anyway, to end the class we did beach exits and I made it out standing..yay!

This was a great class, with great instructors who really cared, great students, great help from the Lifeguards, and just a great day. I am very glad I did it. I will do it again, and I recommend to to all.

He who dives with the most toys wins!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And those trained by LA county have been TRAINED!

sam miller:
... This was a great class, with great instructors who really cared, great students, great help from the Lifeguards, and just a great day. I am very glad I did it. I will do it again, and I recommend to to all.

He who dives with the most toys wins!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And those trained by LA county have been TRAINED!
Sam, How many instructors where there working with the students (and more importantly if that's possible, with each other)?

I C&P the post made elsewhere by "robertarak." I was not there and do not know.

Traditionally the ratio is low 1:1 or 2:1.

In the 100 foot open water free assent in the instructor course (UICC) we used a ratio of about five (5) instructors to one (1) student. Never lost a student, but washed out a few candidates.

sdm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom