L * O * U * D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So the other day I haul my kit into my studio (drummer here - gets very loud in there - no sound escapes) to set off my Dive Alert. I wanted to blast it inside so I wouldn't kill the neighbor's dog or anything (dare me...)

I've never heard one - thought it'd be a good idea to at least know what one sounds like in case, well, I ever hear one.

So I seal the door, and let 'er rip.

Ow. I mean, really Ow. Do not try this at home. They work.

I knew it'd be loud, but I didn't know it'd be LOUD.

Tonight I'm trolling eBay ('cuz that's what I do) and I come across this device. I can only imagine being in a swell, thick gloves and setting this thing off 5" from my ear as I fat-finger my inflator.

Yikes....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2701352036&category=19304

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Tonight I'm trolling eBay ('cuz that's what I do) and I come across this device.

Lemme know when you are going on vacation so I can troll eBay safely. :D Just kidding!

they work underwater too.

Not nearly as loud, but still a decent "buddy alert" device.

Yes! I heard some saying that dive alerts are ineffective underwater, but they seem to work fairly well. Well enough to cause ringing in my ear underwater after I set it off to close to my head. I noticed that in order to get someone's attention effectively, you may want to set off several blasts in a regular pattern (i.e. something that you don't normally hear underwater, like 3-4 short blasts in a rapid succession). Seemed to work pretty well for me.

-Roman.

Back
Top Bottom