Korean drowned - Panglao, Bohol, Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Korean tourist drowns off Panglao, Bohol
TAGBILARAN CITY, Bohol – A Korean tourist drowned while diving in the waters off Panglao Island in Bohol province on Monday.

The police identified the victim as Kyeongryun Kim, 34.

PO3 Gregorio Perocho of the Panglao Police Station said Kim and another Korean, Icklea Kim, were diving in the waters off Barangay Doljo in Panglao around about 2:30 p.m. Monday.

Icklea told police that they were about three to five meters deep when Kyeongryun’s diving regulator mouthpiece was accidentally pulled out from his mouth due to strong waves.

Kyeongryun tried to put it back on several times but failed.

Icklea told the police he tried to save Kyeongryun, but she too was swept by the strong current.

Icklea tried to pull the victim back to the shallow water but failed.

She then asked for help and bystanders brought the body of Kyeongryun on the shoreline and administered cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Unfortunately, they failed to revive him.

Perocho said a post-mortem examination showed that the cause of death was drowning.

Sad news. Condolences to Kyeongryun Kim family & friends.

This is one reason I have my octopus clipped on my left chest D-ring.

Clipped with what?

A girl died some time back trying to get someone’s octopus that was clipped on. An octopus needs to be immediately releasable by pulling not unclipping or alternatively long hose and necklace is a nice configuration. In this instance who know’s what if anything would have saved this poor chap but being able to dip your chin and have a reg in your mouth with no hands (necklaced) could potentially have helped.

RIP to the deceased.

Thanks

Clipped with what?

A girl died some time back trying to get someone’s octopus that was clipped on. An octopus needs to be immediately releasable by pulling not unclipping or alternatively long hose and necklace is a nice configuration. In this instance who know’s what if anything would have saved this poor chap but being able to dip your chin and have a reg in your mouth with no hands (necklaced) could potentially have helped.

RIP to the deceased.

Thanks

Clip with this:

1B3723FB-5383-4B29-828D-103C83961A89.jpeg

The yellow plug holder serves 4 functions:
1. Hold the octopus to where it’s easy access.
2. Plug the mouthbit from free flowing during entry.
3. Octopus can be ripped off the holder easily.
4. It has bright yellow color for easy spotting.

A girl died some time back trying to get someone’s octopus that was clipped on. An octopus needs to be immediately releasable by pulling not unclipping or alternatively long hose and necklace is a nice configuration.
Always boggles my mind when I hear about something like that. I'm pretty sure if I was unable to get the octo to come to me, I'd go to the octo. I guess someone might have such an aversion to being close to another person that they'd drown before putting your face on their waist but not me.

Most octo holders don't actually hold them very well, which is why it's so common to see the things dangling.

As you say, my preference is also to simply use a better configuration.

Clip with this:

View attachment 498157

The yellow plug holder serves 4 functions:
1. Hold the octopus to where it’s easy access.
2. Plug the mouthbit from free flowing during entry.
3. Octopus can be ripped off the holder easily.
4. It has bright yellow color for easy spotting.

Thanks for clarifying I would have hate for someone to misunderstand like I did

Thx

Always boggles my mind when I hear about something like that. I'm pretty sure if I was unable to get the octo to come to me, I'd go to the octo. I guess someone might have such an aversion to being close to another person that they'd drown before putting your face on their waist but not me.

Most octo holders don't actually hold them very well, which is why it's so common to see the things dangling.

It’s hard enough to work with standard onto because of length. Out that length down to zero and you have a serious issue.

Also when someone expects something to come loose and work whilst OOG then their response may well be less than rational.

Hence why we probably agree primary dontate is a better solution in most situations. People that have no gas to breathe will do pretty much anything. I think it was Lamont’s post about the fatality because of clipped octo that really made me understand how important this issue is.

Anyhow just wanted clarification from Dan_T in case someone misunderstood what he meant which he kindly did.

A4B5756C-331E-4223-98EC-603C33DEC007.jpeg

I make sure my octo stays on my right chest D-ring after each entry into the water. If possible, I'd like to back roll into the water for that reason. Having it on the chest makes it easy to spot if it free flowing as the bubbles would be rolling in front of my face.

Who ever wrote the article should go back to primary school and learnt the difference between he and she.
I still do not know the gender of both divers for sure!

The whole report just does not make any sense!
The victim lost "his" reg because of strong wave. "Kyeongryun"(victim) failed to replace it over several attempts.
The victim buddy(he) tried to save "her"(???) but she(buddy) was also swept by the current. Buddy failed to bring the body back to shallow water.
So the buddy(she) called for help and the bystanders brought the body to shore!

How did the bystanders brought the body to shore in strong current?
How did the diver drown when he/she never submerged under water?

This guy was not diving he was snorkeling......some idiot in the Philippines referred to his snorkel mouthpiece as his regulator and thus the confusion began. There was a video posted of the CPR attempt but sadly the person administering the CPR did know what he was doing. He gave the victim chest compressions only... NO BREATHS OF AIR!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom