Korean & Instructor drown - Phuket, Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agree, shop very carefully when choosing dive ops in Phuket. Or better yet, go to Koh Tao, Koh Samui or Koh P'nang. Much better diving and better dive shops.

I agree about choosing carefully but I disagree about better diving in the gulf of Thailand. Koh Tao has some decent enough sites but forget about basing yourself in Koh Samui or phangan if you're on a diving holiday.
In general, Andaman coast offers the best diving in Thailand. If you want to avoid Phuket try phi phi, Lipe, or better still Koh Lanta. Or do a liveaboard.
I realise this is totally off topic though!

My experience diving from Phuket was interesting. We were on nondiving holiday, brought only very basic gear and decided to sneak one day of diving with my 17 yo son. We called Russian speaking company and they provided a Russian guide. We went on a rather large boat. Rental equipment was basic but seemed relatevely well taken care of. Probably 30-40 people on the boat. As far as I could tell, my son and I were the only customers with any kinda timing and depth device (my son had a computer, I had a bottom timer). Generally speaking, instructor/guide to customer ratio would be 1:2 or less. Most of customers were not certified and were diving as DSD. Some of them have done 30-40 lifetime dives (all as DSD). Some commented that we were obviously very advanced divers because we had fancy computers and few have said that they might get certified in the future. Dive functions are fully delegated to the guide. Divers have an attitude "I'm on vacation, I pay you, you take care of me and show me good times".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom