Trip Report TigerBeach LOB report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the trip so much I am heading back for a third time in January. I wonder if I will ever get my fill?
After my first trip there in October last year, I wanted to be even closer to the Tiger Sharks (like right up to their mouths) and I also didn’t see the Great Hammerhead on that first trip. Dolphin Dream is also known for setting trips to swim with Spotted Dolphins (I think that was Captain Scott’s early trip offers before he found Tiger Beach some twenty years ago).

@scubadada was interested to join me on the second trip to see the Tiger Sharks and Great Hammerhead up close, including swimming with Spotted Dolphins. So we booked for that trip in March this year.

Here are what we saw, when we were behind Finch:

Here’s Princess of Bimini:

Here’s swimming with Spotted Dolphin:

Hopefully your next trip would be better than my last trip.

I loved my recent trip on the Dolphin Dream.

Did everyone see my video?

Yes. I know its obvious. My parents didn't give me enough validation
Yup I've seen it thanks.
The DD recently posted a photo on Insta with both a Tiger and Great Hammerhead in it which I saw together on my first trip on the Shearwater so hopefully it was at Tiger Beach which tends to have better vis over Bimini, hopefully it stays around, Bimini also has more Bullsharks than Tiger Beach which I've been told the Hammers don't like to hang around and tends to drive them off. The bulls at Tiger Beach were definitely more shy not coming in super close, the bulls at Bimini definitely were not shy, and came in really close and when vis was low made the dives a bit more sketchy.

@Dan I preffered them being them being fed over not feeding, the feeding keeps them around more, the guide from the Shearwater who reccomended the DD to me for multiple reasons, would occasionally feed them, and it ramps up the action and keeps them round. On my first trip I would attract them close to me by holding out my hand acting like I might have a little snack for them, on the feeding trip I didn't do much of that at all, mostly when I was waiting for the rest of the divers to get set in the water and the baitbox come in. Yup I got all kinds of tricks up my sleeve to maximize my pleasure.

On my first trip I would attract them close to me by holding out my hand acting like I might have a little snack for them,
You were living on the edge then, buddy! Those Tiger Sharks are sneaky (see my video when I was in Cocos, below). They would come out of no where.

During my first trip, Finch told us to pay attention to all of Tigers. Forget about the mellow Lemons, the Caribbean Reef Sharks. Just focus your eyes on the Tigers, otherwise this is what would happen to you.

When 9 of them around, like in my last trip in March this year, I lost track of some of them. I won’t risk myself from being bitten by Tiger Shark sneaking beihind me, by sticking my hand.

You were living on the edge then, buddy! Those Tiger Sharks are sneaky (see my video when I was in Cocos, below). They would come out of no where

During my first trip, Finch told us to pay attention to all of Tigers. Forget about the mellow Lemons, the Caribbean Reef Sharks. Just focus your eyes on the Tigers, otherwise this is what would happen to you.

When 9 of them around, like in my last trip in March this year, I lost track of some of them. I won’t risk myself from being bitten by Tiger Shark sneaking beihind me, by sticking my hand.

Oh you bet I got my head on a swivel. ( so much so I ended up with quite the raw spot on my neck from my wetsuit rubbing)) I pushed one off that was sneaking up on the diver next to me totally unaware one was coming up at her looking all chompy. I saw your video before my last trip, so I knew that they can be sneaky.
And I certainly aren't acting like I have bait in my hand when theres a bunch of them around. I enjoy the use of all my appendages and intend on keeping it that way.
On my last trip one tiger was way up close eyeing me hard and after me doing a full 360 turn with her following and giving her a bit of a nudge with my camera and her not backing off the saftey diver came over and pushed her off to my relief.
My closest call was when one chomped my camera which i promptly let go of, now I have a nice souvenir scratch on my dome housing.

I bet you had some great footages. Post some of you pictures & videos here, please!

@Dan Here is a some action from my first trip on the Shearwater in January 2020, no color correction or cool music sorry, I really should get a good editing program.

Reactions: Dan
@Dan here is the clip where she is circling me, geuss I didn't end up pushing her off, I was ready to. I have another clip where she comes to me then heads down the line looking for snacks from other divers ryan pushes her off and another diver pushes her off also.

Reactions: Dan
@Dan Here is a some action from my first trip on the Shearwater in January 2020, no color correction or cool music sorry, I really should get a good editing program.

Seeing the Great Hammerhead with Tiger side by side is really cool! One of these days I might get lucky like you. 👍

I'm not super interested in the Oceanic White Tips and an aquaintence has dove with them off Rhode Island I believe, I have done the GWS off Guadalupe 2x, once in November for the big females and once in September for the all be it smaller but more active and aggressive males. I preffered the better action of the males. It's unfortunate for the dive ops that it's been closed, maybe they aren't greasing the right wheel.
It’s interesting to hear that you are not interested in Oceanic Whitetip Shark (Carcharhinus Longimanus). I think it’s the most beautiful shark I have ever seen. Its long pectoral fins make it looks like fighter jet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom