Ko Tao / Ko Samui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been to the Caribbean, but I just googled 'Cozumel dive prices' and the first link gave me $500 for a 10-dive package, not including gear rental, whereas here 12800 THB for the same works out to $360 and includes BCD, wetsuit, regulator and fins, although not a dive computer. Normal prices on Tao are 1000 THB per dive, with bulk diskcounts and your own equipment bringing it down to 700-800/dive, so this is a ~50% premium.
Ah yes, I forgot that the price quote is always with gear and the discount comes from me having my own gear, whereas in the Caribbean, the price is the price and gear is extra, per piece.

Also, I'm Canadian and did the conversion on my dollars from the baht, saw $48+ and didn't then make the mental conversion to USD. My bad.

The travel costs from Calgary to Tokyo, Tokyo Bangkok, Bangkok 6 hour bus ride to Chumphon, speed boat to Koh Tao, and then return home, will be a significant cost for a month long trip. The additional cost to be diving from a speed boat will become rather insignificant in comparison.

The travel costs from Calgary to Tokyo, Tokyo Bangkok, Bangkok 6 hour bus ride to Chumphon, speed boat to Koh Tao, and then return home, will be a significant cost for a month long trip. The additional cost to be diving from a speed boat will become rather insignificant in comparison.
I was wondering how to get to Koh Tao, since flights to Koh Sumie are a 10 hour wait after night flight to Bangkok. Fast but I’ll go nuts in an airport. Is the bus close to airport?

Hot water? Air conditioning? Beachfront?
Sunrise Koh Tao but it is in Mae Haad.
No experience about this place. I was thinking to try this place in Sept but decided to concentrate on overland trip between Southern Thailand and Northern Malaysia instead.
I prefer climbing back on the old fishing boat than speed boat because the big boat does not roll around.
Most old fishing boat has ladder which goes down quite deep. And I can easily stand on it, remove my fins or the whole kit.

I was wondering how to get to Koh Tao, since flights to Koh Sumie are a 10 hour wait after night flight to Bangkok. Fast but I’ll go nuts in an airport. Is the bus close to airport?
I saw a bus to Khao San Road at the bottom floor of Suvarnabhumi Airport. You can take that, followed by a Lomprayah transfer to Koh Tao - it's an overnight bus and a morning ferry.

There are various ways of travelling from BKK to Koh Tao.
1. Flight to Koh Samui and then transfer by ferry.
2. Overnight train to Chumphon and then transfer to Koh Tao by bus and van. Lomprayah has a small office just beside the train platform. You need to find the precise train schedule first.
3. Overnight bus from Khao San road.

You can go directly to Lomprayah office near Khao San Road and buy the ticket there.

What is your arrival time at BKK?

Even if you fly to KS you'll normally have to overnight there to get the morning ferry to KT. I did it once, never again.

I normally take the Lomprayah bus/ferry from Khao San. Either the overnight leaving around 21:00 or the morning leaving at 06:00. With the first you get to KT by 10:00, the second gets you there around 14:00.

Not done the train as times not convenient.

Plan to stay a couple of days in Bangkok, see the sites.

Koh Tao is an enjoyable island and a month could be sublime but there's much better diving to be found elsewhere.

For me, it is usually an easier trip because of already visiting family in Singapore, then catching flight to Samui at my leisure. Stay overnight on Samui, then ferry next day. All part of the adventure.

There are various ways of travelling from BKK to Koh Tao.
1. Flight to Koh Samui and then transfer by ferry.
2. Overnight train to Chumphon and then transfer to Koh Tao by bus and van. Lomprayah has a small office just beside the train platform. You need to find the precise train schedule first.
3. Overnight bus from Khao San road.

You can go directly to Lomprayah office near Khao San Road and buy the ticket there.

What is your arrival time at BKK?
My flight arrives Bangkok at 9am, and no flight go to Koh Samie there until evening.
Hmmm, will keep looking.
I am going to Koh Tao and meeting my son there at end of his travel tour, so I need to go straight there, no other choice.
I will get whatever transport that is fastest that i can find, and post all info i find along the way.

You could also fly to Surat Thani, stay there for the night and catch the ferry next morning. Flights from DMK to ST are way cheaper than BKK to KS.

I’ll be trying that route in may this year to Koh Tao from Bangkok. I’ve been to Tao once in 2020 (at the verge of the Rona) and dove with Master Divers as well. Can recommend, well organised and had lots of fun. Diving Tao for itself was ok I’d say. Enjoyed Koh Lipe more in 2022 and surely can’t compete with the Red Sea (unfair comparison). Just seems you grow out of the place as a diver really quick. The diving scene is first class though. One can talk diving 24/7 if wished, 80% holiday OWDs though (no complaint for sure).

I‘m now thinking myself what type of diving I’ll be doing. Certainly not bringing the CCR as I’ll be in a group with 3 non divers and don’t wanna fly home divorced. Might bring a SM config and check out KTD. Or does anyone know a shop that runs BP/W and twins?

Back
Top Bottom