Ko Tao / Ko Samui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My flight arrives Bangkok at 9am, and no flight go to Koh Samie there until evening.
Hmmm, will keep looking.
I am going to Koh Tao and meeting my son there at end of his travel tour, so I need to go straight there, no other choice.
I will get whatever transport that is fastest that i can find, and post all info i find along the way.

I have done it once and highly recommend it. The AC 2nd class is more than adequate. The staff will change the seat to a bed and will wake you up just before arriving at Chumphon. The ticket is bookable on line through official site(not agent). Choice of lower/upper bunk and the AC is fierce. The New Railway Station rather than the old Hua Lamphong.
Alternatively you can catch a bus to Chumphon as soon as you arrive at BKK, stay in a hotel for few hrs before making the connection to Kho Tao.
Flight to Surat Thani is another consideration. I had travelled once from Koh Tao to Surat Thani Railway station through Lomprayah.
I hope you are not arriving just before the monthly Full Moon Party.

I‘m now thinking myself what type of diving I’ll be doing. Certainly not bringing the CCR as I’ll be in a group with 3 non divers and don’t wanna fly home divorced. Might bring a SM config and check out KTD. Or does anyone know a shop that runs BP/W and twins?

I cannot remember if they were involved in that cave rescue in Chiang Rai province few years ago.

ok, so I bought the evening flight Bangkok to Koh Samui, and now I just need a hotel on Koh Samui and I can get the ferry to Koh Tao in the morning.
1) I am looking at hotels on Koh Samui for one night, before ferry to Koh Tao. Got Marine Resort, with airport transfer, and breakfast for $80, which is not the cheapest, but it is on the beach, so I'll post photos when I see what that looks like.
2) Do you book ferry ahead on the Ferry App, or at all?
3) I will be at Bangkok airport layover for 10 hours, so I wonder if it is possible to leave airport and take a taxi ride around area, anything to see close to airport.

3) I will be at Bangkok airport layover for 10 hours, so I wonder if it is possible to leave airport and take a taxi ride around area, anything to see close to airport.
You're flying from BKK, not DMK, right? There's a left luggage service on the international departures floor, behind the check-in counters - you can stash your bags there for the day. Don't bother with taxis in Bangkok traffic; go all the way to the bottom floor and take the airport link train to the city. Bangkok has three separate urban rail systems - the elevated BTS ("Skytrain"), the underground MRT metro, and the airport link, which is a single separate line connecting the city center with Suvarnaphumi airport. I think they've finally built an additional line to Don Mueang airport as well, but I haven't used it myself. This is not counting the intercity SRT (State Railways of Thailand) system, which has a hub in Bangkok.

@Bubblesong
There are two airports(BKK and DMK) in the city. DMK was used to be the main airport until 2006.

1. $80.00 for that package is excessive. Do you have the time for the beach in Koh Samui? Make sure it is NOT far from the ferry terminal as Koh Samui is quite large.
2. No need to book the ferry ahead.
3. Unless you want to sample the meaning of traffic jam in Bangkok. I can still remember what it was like back in 1988.

ok, so I bought the evening flight Bangkok to Koh Samui, and now I just need a hotel on Koh Samui and I can get the ferry to Koh Tao in the morning.
1) I am looking at hotels on Koh Samui for one night, before ferry to Koh Tao. Got Marine Resort, with airport transfer, and breakfast for $80, which is not the cheapest, but it is on the beach, so I'll post photos when I see what that looks like.
2) Do you book ferry ahead on the Ferry App, or at all?
There are two ferry terminals on Koh Samui, make sure you go to the right one. You’ve wasted your money on breakfast unless you’re getting the pm ferry, as the am one leaves around 6am.

There are two ferry terminals on Koh Samui, make sure you go to the right one. You’ve wasted your money on breakfast unless you’re getting the pm ferry, as the am one leaves around 6am.
I’m close to airport, and near beach, and planned on later ferry so i can enjoy this island for a bit. Thank you for ferry news, I’ll research that next.

Enjoy your trip and the meeting of your son.
Please do not get sun burn. LOL.

Going to Ko Tao and Ko Samui in February can you please recommend the best dive sites at each location?

Please can you also recommend good dive shops as well?
Going to Ko Tao and Ko Samui in February can you please recommend the best dive sites at each location?

Please can you also recommend good dive shops as well?
Thank you all for your great suggestion!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom