Ko Tao / Ko Samui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skihikedive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Going to Ko Tao and Ko Samui in February can you please recommend the best dive sites at each location?

Please can you also recommend good dive shops as well?

Most boats from Koh Samui will bring you to the same Koh Tao dive sites. You're better off staying in Koh Tao to cut down on boat travel time (< 20 min for most sites, vs 1+ hr from Koh Samui).

Sail Rock & Chumphon Pinnacle are truly fascinating. They are both much further out, about 1-1.5 hour boat travel time, and you have to check with your shop when they're going there. Typically shops will organize a trip once or twice a week to these sites. Also loved the Sattakut wreck -- it's largely intact and a fascinating ship.

I liked diving with Hydronauts. It's a smaller outfit so you're not crammed with a million other divers on the boat, and they were very accommodating with my schedule. They moved their boat departure times to 10am for me, because I didn't fancy waking up early on vacation :cool: They were also the only shop I found that offered BPW/long-hose gear. Definitely recommend reaching out to them.

Most boats from Koh Samui will bring you to the same Koh Tao dive sites. You're better off staying in Koh Tao to cut down on boat travel time (< 20 min for most sites, vs 1+ hr from Koh Samui).

Sail Rock & Chumphon Pinnacle are truly fascinating. They are both much further out, about 1-1.5 hour boat travel time, and you have to check with your shop when they're going there. Typically shops will organize a trip once or twice a week to these sites. Also loved the Sattakut wreck -- it's largely intact and a fascinating ship.

I liked diving with Hydronauts. It's a smaller outfit so you're not crammed with a million other divers on the boat, and they were very accommodating with my schedule. They moved their boat departure times to 10am for me, because I didn't fancy waking up early on vacation :cool: They were also the only shop I found that offered BPW/long-hose gear. Definitely recommend reaching out to them.
Thank you!

@Skihikedive
@Ski_Lounge has described it pretty accurately.
I used Master Divers on Mae Haad. Boat usually goes out for 2 dives in the morning and also afternoon, night dive is available.
Weather should be your main concern at this time of the yr on the East Coast of the Kingdom.
I have just finished a trip to Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe on the West Coast and weather was great with only one short shower over a period of 14 days. Wind could be stiff but the cold water/thermocline made diving quite miserable in some cases. The small jelly fish in some dive sites in Koh Lanta also diminished the fun.
Nevertheless, I would still recommend Koh Lanta/Koh Lipe over Koh Tao in term of diving and especially in Feb.
I have been to Koh Tao few times but never earlier than July. Weather was absolutely great.

Do enjoy your trip.

You're going off season so be prepared for inclement weather and sub optimal o ocean conditions.

Best time to VISIT Koh Samui/Tao?
Depend who you would believe on line.

Best time to dive the area?
Same result as above. One of the operator even saying Feb is their favourite season. Others would had said otherwise!

I had spoken with some divers most recently in Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe. And some of them are heading to Koh Samui/Tao for diving afterward.

Only couple of sites are relatively far from Koh Tao otherwise there is not much need for a speed boat besides it is bumpy most of the time.
I understand. We have been there on Koh Tao for a month, diving with Goodtime Adventures. And I much prefer a speed boat. You get there much faster that the old big fishing boats others shops prefer to own with 30+ divers on them.
You ride on the big old slow overcrowded boats, I will be on the speed boats every time.

Back
Top Bottom