Knighthawk w/ Single Strap...replace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hover-Stop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey everyone,

I have a ScubaPro Knighthawk BC that has the single strap that you adjust with velcro and has the single silver clam-shell style buckle on it.

Long story short....I hate it. It's a pain in the rear to adjust for different tanks, and to me, it doesnt feel very secure.

So I was wondering if it's possible to replace the tank plate with one that would allow dual straps. Or at least replace the single strap with one that's easier to adjust and hold better.

Any help? Thanks in advance!!

USMCPayne,

The ScubaPro single tank strap is incredibly secure and it is not difficult to adjust. Most tanks you'll encounter are 7.25 inch diameter, a few are 8 inch diameter. Adjustment is rarely ever needed. Rhetorically, if you dislike the tank strap on the Knighthawk so much, why did you buy it over the many BCs with alternative single or 2 tank straps?

Good diving, Craig

Hi,

I partially agree with you on how hard it is to adjust the strap. But only the first time. Once you get that stap adjusted, if you continue to use the same size tank, you should never touch the velcro again. Remember, the free end of the velcro you pull to open the strap should be INSIDE the strap loop so that when you clamp it shut, it cannot be pulled off. If it doesn't feel secure, tighten it down a little bit more. When you close the cam, it should make a very satisfying thud or clank as it lays down on the tank.

I have always thought that the ScubaPro clamp straps are very very secure and have even switched other BC straps to them in the past.

As for double straps, there is no real reason for 2 tank straps on a hard backpack mount BC. I believe that the double straps came into use when manufacturers began using soft packs to make BCs "more comfortable - without that hard plate on the back". They were so floppy, that without 2 straps to hold the tank, it would just flop around because there was nothing to secure it. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) :)

I own a Knighthawk-never had a problem with the tank strap or any part of the BCD. You do have to really tighten the strap if it feels lose. get the strap wet, attach the d-ring into the clamp, adjust the velcro around the bottle until it is just snug then clamp it down-it should be a little difficult. As JamieS said, it should make a thud.

I have a knighthawk as well. I love the band on it. I have two different size tanks and i have marked the strap with a white paint pen for each size tank so all i have to do is move it to that spot and clamp it down and im ready to go. I cant really see any reason to replace it. The lds here actually replaces a bunch of non scubapro bcs with the scubapro setup. jmo

If you really want to replace the strap look at the straps sold to be used with BP/W backplates.
My Dive Rite tank strap is the same width as my Knighthawks Tank strap.

But then why not just go to a BP/W and get what you really want?

I'm also think to change my single tank strap bcd(seaquest) with a two strap bcd because i had a strap failure last month and i felt so much in danger.If that happens once then you can't use the same bcd again.
Actually i was so angry that i throw my seaquet bcd in the garbage.I didn't try to sell it.

Knighthawk too, I have mine adjusted a bit tight ... I'm very careful of getting my finger caught in it :wink:
Posts on SB lead me to believe that the SP tank band is thought to be very secure .. I don't even bother with wetting mine before strapping the tank on anymore (still lift it and shake to test it though)

I like the marked strap idea for different tank diameters , thanks demarest

As for double straps, there is no real reason for 2 tank straps on a hard backpack mount BC. I believe that the double straps came into use when manufacturers began using soft packs to make BCs "more comfortable - without that hard plate on the back". They were so floppy, that without 2 straps to hold the tank, it would just flop around because there was nothing to secure it. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) :)

Yup! You might note that ALL BP/Ws have two cambands whether they use a single tank adapter or not. And a backplate doesn't get much more solid than a bent sheet of stainless steel.

Personally, I will never again buy a BC that has just one camband. My old SeaQuest ADVi had just one band with a hard backplate and it actually worked pretty well. My wife's BC (whatever it was) had a different backplate and with one camband and the tank was always flopping around. She now dives a BP/W as do I.

When I bought my grandson a BC, the #1 consideration was that it have 2 cambands. Losing a tank at the bottom of the ocean can be a problem and it's rather awkward for a buddy to reinstall it.

Richard

Do I understand that you are having problems adjusting the strap properly when changing to a tank of a different size? There's an easy solution. When the BC is on the tank, take a marker and draw a line on the strap. I use a paint pen. When you change to the next size tank, make another mark. I did this when using a 72 LP steel and an HP 80.

I also have a Scubapro Ladyhawk. The tank won't slip, but be careful, you can tear a big hunk of flesh out of your finger if it gets caught in the clamp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom